Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

different "Used" capacity between "get info" ?

I'm getting a discrepancy between the "Used" capacity readings of "get info" vs "Disk Utility". This is on my MBP/retina running OS 10.9.4. I've checked my other computers using the same OS, (different models) and they are not doing that. The discrepancy is about 100GB. Anyone have any ideas why this is?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 3:38 PM

Click here and see the last section of the article.

(109591)

6 replies

Jul 17, 2014 3:47 PM in response to Niel

The article seems correct, but before I log off here, if I do a time machine backup, (to an external drive), will the the used capacities be more in line?

It does seem to make sense tho. The MBP/retina is the computer I use constantly and it has been 3 or 4 days since I did a backup.

Jul 17, 2014 4:25 PM in response to Niel

That must not be the difference. I'm still getting the discrepancy, and I was so excited that that was it.

I just studied the "About This Mac"/"Storage" dialog bar graph. There is almost 100GB of Backups but when I did a backup to my external drive it did not clear. I even disconnected the BU drive and re-started -same results.

Jul 17, 2014 9:06 PM in response to Niel

I just checked, again and now both readings are the same. I didn't do anything. Is it maybe because it needed to do a snapshot to wipe it clean? Or does it take time for the system to catch up? I checked the About this Mac dialog and it has dropped back where it should be as well.

It's beyond me why it did what it did. I will keep an eye on it and maybe I'll learn something.

Thanks for your help Niel, It does have something to do with your suggested link.

different "Used" capacity between "get info" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.