Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install OS X 10.6.3 on an EMC 2389 with a new HDD

Hey Apple-sphere,

My friends July-2010 EMC 2389's hard drive failed. I've replaced the drive, but when I used a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 installation disc to install the OS, I get stuck on a white screen with a grey apple logo. The disc drive stops spinning and the screen doesn't change. I've checked on everymac.com ---> http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i3-3.06-21-inch-alumi num-mid-2010-specs.html <---and the system seems to be compatible with 10.6.3 (as well as was shipped with it). I've looked through a few different forums and boards and they all seem to say that this problem is caused by a system lacking support for the OS.

I'm unsure on what to try and I may end up ringing tech support (which is quite embarrassing as I have a degree in Comp. Eng. =S ). Thanks for reading, I hope to hear from somebody soon!

Regards,

C.E.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2014 5:33 PM

You can't use a retail Mac OS X 10.6 DVD directly on that model. You need to phone AppleCare and order replacement original disks, or run the installation on a compatible Mac, update the installed system to 10.6.4 or newer, and move it if applicable.

(109604)

4 replies

Jul 17, 2014 5:34 PM in response to Tobelor

You cannot boot that model with the retail Snow Leopard DVD. The computer requires a machine specific version of Snow Leopard and shipped with that build. You need the original disc.

You can purchase replacement discs from Apple at:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes

international calling numbers..

Jul 17, 2014 6:20 PM in response to Tobelor

A suggestion for the future. When you download Lion or later to upgrade your computer be sure you first make a copy of the installer application and put it in your Downloads folder. You can use it to make a bootable USB installer:

Make Your Own Mavericks, Mountain/Lion Installer

After downloading the installer you must first save the Install Mac OS X application. After the installer downloads DO NOT click on the Install button. Go to your Applications folder and make a copy of the installer. Move the copy into your Downloads folder. Now you can click on the Install button. You must do this because the installer deletes itself automatically when it finishes installing.

2. Get a USB flash drive that is at least 8 GBs. Prep this flash drive as follows:

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
  2. After DU loads select your flash drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the leftside list. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
  3. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list.
  4. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
  5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
  6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to an hour depending upon the flash drive size.

3. Use DiskMaker X to put your installer clone onto the USB flash drive.

Make your own Mavericks flash drive installer using the Mavericks tool:

You can also create a Mavericks flash drive installer via the Terminal. Mavericks has its own built-in installer maker you use via the Terminal:

You will need a freshly partitioned and formatted USB flash drive with at least 8GBs. Leave the name of the flash drive at the system default, "Untitled." Do not change this name. Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder. Copy this command line after the prompt in the Terminal's window:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed to the screen so be careful to enter it correctly. Press RETURN, again.

Wait for the process to complete which will take quite some time.

Can't install OS X 10.6.3 on an EMC 2389 with a new HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.