Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't shut down

Since upgrading to 10.9.4 my iMac won't shut down when asked. The title bar quits but then it stalls. I have to hold the power button until it asks if I want to shut down and the OK it.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 21.5" 500GB 4GB Ram & OS 10.6

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 5:01 AM

Reset SMC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the appropriate method.

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Bernard Stay

My iMac will not shut down properly either for over a year now. It simply removes the menu and icon bars at top and bottom and simply sits there forever.

I don't have a system "fix" but I do have a solution that works for me as a workaround. I got to the apple menu, select the "Force Quit", force quit each open app that I missed closing before shutting down. I then also select the "Finder" and relaunch it. After that, I select "Shut Down" and do not hit the "Shut down" button on the window that pops up. I simply let it time out to shut itself down. If I hit the shut down button in shut down window it still tends to hang up on shut down. This has worked successfully for me every time since I started having this problem. I have a imac 2013 running Yosemite OS X 10.10.4.

iMac won't shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.