Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme 802.11AC + 5th Gen and guest network access

I have the current gen Airport Extreme 802.11AC with a 5th Gen extending the network. With this setup, I am unable to login using our guest network setup. I have tried using guest network with a password and one without but its the same results. When a guest logins, it stuck attempting to login with no error messages.

So is it possible to have this configuration and still have guest network access?

iOS 7.1.2, Airport Extreme 802.11AC

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 4:02 PM

5 replies

Jul 18, 2014 4:19 PM in response to Joel Llacar

The Guest Network feature will not operate correctly unless your "main" AirPort Extreme is connected to a simple modem........not a modem/router or gateway type of device that is often furnished by Internet Service Providers to their customers.

So, the first troubleshooting question must be......what is the make and model number of the device that you call your "modem"?

Jul 21, 2014 6:55 AM in response to Joel Llacar

The Actiontec device that you have is a modem/router combination. Disabling the wireless function on the Actiiontec device that you have will not make it a modem. It is still acting as a wired router.

If you want to configure the Actiontec device as a simple modem, then a lot of work will be required. Check with your ISP to see if this is even possible and whether they will support this type of setup.

Things would be much easier if your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can swap the Actiontec for a simple modem only. The guest network feature will work correctly when the AirPort is connected to a simple modem.

Jul 21, 2014 10:16 AM in response to Joel Llacar

Please review what I said originally.......that the guest network function on the AirPort Extreme is designed to work with a simple modem......so the AirPort acts as the main router for the network..

Another way of saying the same thing is that the AirPort needs to be "in charge" of your network for the guest feature to work correctly. The AirPort cannot be in charge if it is connected to another device that is already configured to be the main router on your network.....your Actiontec modem/router.

The Actiontec device combines the functions of a separate modem and a separate router in one package. This type of device is known as a modem/router, or also known as a gateway.

Some folks call a modem/router or a gateway......a modem. So, things can get confusing.

I do not know if it is possible for the Actiontec device that you have to be configured to act as a simple modem.....so the routing functions of the device are completely turned off. (Turning off the wireless on the Actiotec does not turn off the routing function).

If you turn off the wireless on the Actionec, it becomes a modem and a wired router. And that wired router is still in charge of your network.

The guest network feature will not work correctly unless the AirPort is in charge of your network.

My suggestion was for you to ask your Internet Service Provider (ISP), if they could supply you with a simple modem. That is all that you need. You don't need two routers....and the Actiontec that you have now is not allowing the guest feature to work correctly.

Airport Extreme 802.11AC + 5th Gen and guest network access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.