Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X poor GUI perfomance (Lag) in Hi-Res (retina) mode.

Hi guys, i have MBP 15' Retina with 16Gb ram and GT 750m video card. My problem is that i got to use LPX in ''low resolution mode'' because other way in normal Hi-Res Retina mode it has very poor GUI graphics performance, in simple words it is Lagging so hard that i was double-checking what video card is in use=D. Now i know that if i use external display it always uses discrete graphics, and it is LPX perfomance issue. Maybe somebody found fix for this ? Or i must wait for an update to get decent performance ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), MBPr 15' 2013 2,3Ghz 16GB Ram 750m

Posted on Jul 19, 2014 7:30 AM

14 replies

Jul 23, 2014 8:07 AM in response to SmokenSound

Hi!

It´s just a proof of apples inadequancy implementation and quality controll. F.e. the massive sluggish performance during scrolling in the arrange view / mixer has nothing to do with your Hardware.

Let me tell you my "little story" with the super new Logic Pro X:

I installed Logic Pro X on my "old" MacPro 2008 8x2,4Ghz/12GB Ram/SSD and was brocken about the massive poor GUI Performance with trackpad or magic mouse. I called apple support / Answer: "With new macs this failure is not reproducible, you should make an grafic card upgrad". ... So I did and bought an suitable upgrade card. Result: Same poor GUI performance. I called apple support again / Answer: "With new macs this failure is not reproducible, you should think abaout a new machine". ... So I did and bought a new Mac Book Pro Retina 15" 2,6Ghz, 16GB RAM. Installed only logic pro X (without any other plugins). Result: Same poor performance. I called apple support again / Answer: "With new macs this failure is not reproducible, may there is an defect on the grafic card and you should return the mac". So I did and thought to "upgrade" to the new mac pro cylinder 6-core 3,5 16GB/D500. Installed only logic pro X (without any other plugins). Result: Same poor GUI performance. I called apple support again / Answer after 3 weeks mailing and phone calls: "We´re sorry, the failure is reproducible and it seems the implementation of scrolling has to be improved with an update in future. But when we can´t tell you, sorry!

Conclusion: We have to wait!

What helped me in meanwhile was to

1. deactivate the "rubber-band-effect" (this you can only do in terminal)

2. disabled the scrolling overrun

3. maximize the scrolling speed

I´m using logic now more than 10 years and hope apple will improve this perfomance quickly. The rest of Logic Pro X works very good for me 😉

Jul 23, 2014 11:37 AM in response to Hyalith

In the meantime, Apple cashed in on your graphic issues.

This is exactly why I'm off the Apple upgrade train, it's impossible to run a studio and try to stay current. Apple users are the new Beta testers The last guy in town running a Logic studio finally took my advice and went back to Snow Leopard and Logic 9. (no problems whatsoever)

Nov 28, 2014 2:28 PM in response to Pancenter

has anyone fixed this issue yet? i am running mavericks and logic X pro with the same issue. retina MBP here haswel, first i though i got the wrong MBP with to slow graphical card but guess what, the MBP is just fine its the integration which *****. come on apple fix this we are musicians and we'd like for logic to work properly after all it;s a great piece of technology but you should listen to your customers should be an easy fix

cheers

Nov 28, 2014 5:30 PM in response to roland909

If you have a Retina MBP... Try turning off Automatic Graphic Switching in OS X's System Prefs / Energy Saver.

Several people have reported better performance with Pro Apps including Logic, having done so.... as this forces the Mac to use the higher-performance discrete graphics processor at all times.

MacBook Pro and MacBook Pro with Retina display computers: How to set graphics performance - Apple Support

Nov 28, 2014 6:02 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

i have just checked i do not have that option under energy saver button. its the haswel MBP retina with one graphic card, not two. so thanks for the advice but it didn't work

even more so like some one has just said above i think the graphical card is strong enough to for logic to work fine, i mean ableton is running ultra smooth so i think its just a matter of software compatibility as the hardware is capable of keeping up

Nov 28, 2014 6:56 PM in response to roland909

My apologies.. I forgot the entry level late 2013 2.2Ghz Haswell 15" Retina model only uses the Iris 5200 onboard chip...

The entry-level ME293LL/A configuration only has a single Iris Pro 5200 graphics processor. This graphics processor has 128 MB of "Crystalwell" embedded DRAM on the CPU package, but the system does not have dedicated GDDR5 VRAM.

Whereas the other versions of the same late 2013 Haswell 15" Retina MBPs like the 2.5Ghz and upwards... have both the Iris 5200 and the Nvidia GT 750M.....which has 2GB of GDDR5 onboard Ram....

You did in fact choose the model with the slower graphical systems by some degree.... but as to if that should affect Logic to the degree it apparently does, is a different matter.

Nov 28, 2014 7:00 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

yes you are right but as you can see some one wrote that they emailed apple about the issue and they got him upgrade till a mac pro unit 🙂 and still having the same issue. he also wrote that apple then reckoned it was something that needed to be addressed in software and that he should wait. in the meantime i have to believe someone knows the fix. its one of the reasons i haven't upgraded to yosemite yet but will as soon as everything is known to work smoothly. any other suggestions?

Nov 28, 2014 7:11 PM in response to roland909

Unfortunately, no.. I don't have any other suggestions... I don't run Logic on a Retina system here deliberately.... as I have found Retina systems are inherently slower than non Retina systems to be honest.... with several Pro apps.... and not just Logic.

I will also say that I borrowed a new Mac Pro a couple of months ago.. for two weeks.. to see how I would get on with one of these new beasts... .and had no issues at all with poor graphical/GUI performance... but then that Mac Pro was specifically setup by it's owner for Logic.... so maybe he had already implemented the fixes quoted in that previous post... That and/or the fact this one was the upper level model with the dual D700 graphic cards.... so it had plenty of graphical performance overhead... and those 6/12 cores and 64GB Ram... to work with!

Hopefully a fix for either LPX and/or OS X will resolve the issue eventually......

Again, as i have said before... Prospective buyers of the new Retina iMac... Be warned!

Cheers..

Nigel

Apr 12, 2015 7:18 AM in response to SmokenSound

I just found a solution to Logic Pro X Gui Lag.

I get awful lag in the Gui when my session starts to be heavy.

Just for the record, my Mac Pro is a power horse 12 core monster with 48 Gigs of Ram and an NVIDIA Quadro K5000 graphics card.

So. It's not the Hardware that causes my lag. It's the software - no doubt.

The more the tracks and the more regions I have in my session the more lagish it all becomes.

It's been like this for years and years with Logic.

I regularly work with more than 100 or 150 tracks with about 60 to 100 instruments.

However I never have more than 10 to 15 instruments playing together.

Sometimes I will need to wait between 2 and 3 seconds for the GUI to react to my selection operations and some automation dragging operations.

This is consistently happening on regions, notes and automation data selection, and also automation value changes.

I'm glad to report that a couple of days ago I have discovered a solution that has helped seriously diminish my lag issues. Including on a 5 hour LogicPro X session with 200 + tracks.

The answer : Close track stacks, or hide tracks as much as you can.

That's it.

Why did I not think of this before is beyond me..

It just works.

When you hide tracks or close stacks you vastly simplify the content/data that Logic needs to handle to react to your clicking and dragging

Currently when I'm under 30 tracks left (visually) after closing track stacks, on my monster session, I get a visual lag that's under 250ms.

It would probably be way more snappy if my session wasn't 5 hours long.

Please note that the lag I'm talking about here is only related to how the app reacts to mouse clicking and dragging.

It's mostly a problem that people who work with BIG sessions and a lot of tracks.

It's not 'audio metering lag" which is another subject.

I really hope this helps LogicPro Users.

Logic Pro X poor GUI perfomance (Lag) in Hi-Res (retina) mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.