Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

having trouble loading Final Cut Pro Studio on my new iMac

I tried to install Final Cut Pro Studio on my new iMac and it tells me that Power PC is not supported. What can I do?

iMac, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 19, 2014 11:31 AM

6 replies

Jul 20, 2014 10:34 AM in response to Ordained Bishop

If you have fcp6, the main issue is that the installer is not compatible with the newest mac operating system. There are several ways to work around this. Do some searching here for "installing fcp6 on Mavericks" and you should get enough options to push yourself out onto the ledge. If you've got an earlier version of fcp than 5.1 (the first version compatible with intel chips) you're out of luck.

But remember you're dealing with software that was last updated 5 years ago (something like that) and it's behavior on newer computers may be problematic. I've been amazed at how many people I see in NYC working with fcp7 on the newest macs without any issues, but your mileage may vary.

Jul 20, 2014 8:00 PM in response to Ordained Bishop

FCP v1? Oh, there's no way that will load on any new Mac. That app was designed for the PowerPC chip. The only ones that will install on Intel chip macs are 5.1 through 7. But getting FCP 6/7 installed on a new Mac takes trickery...the OS doesn't want to let you do it.

If you are talking Final Cut Studio 1...with FCP 5.1...that will work on Intel, but not the latest computers with the latest OS. Sorry...2005 software on a 2014 computer...that's ancient in software terms.

And no, there is no update plan to the latest version of FCP...FCP-X. It's $299 no matter where you come from. And FCP-X doesn't come with Motion or Compressor...you need to buy those separately ($50 each). And Livetype was discontinued 6-7 years ago...DVD Studio Pro was discontinued when FCP 7 was...in 2011. And warning, FCP-X is completely different than the older FCP. Whole new approach. You can download a fully functional trial for 30 days if you want to check it out.

having trouble loading Final Cut Pro Studio on my new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.