Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for excessive data usage for "mapping services"?

I'm experiencing a problem where my iPhone 4S running iOS 7.1.2 (though I saw this problem with 7.1.1 as well) uses huge amounts of cellular data (500 MB+) while sitting idle. Looking at usage in the Cellular section of settings reveals that the data is being used for "mapping services" under system services. I've turned off location services for all but a very few apps that truly require it. I've also turned off background refresh for all apps, cellular data for most apps and system services, as well as turning off the frequent locations feature. Unfortunately, even after making these changes, the problem occurs. Some searching does reveal a few other people reporting this (e.g. here). Unfortunately, I haven't found any reports of working solutions.

I'm traveling in Africa, and using relatively expensive prepaid data, so this problem is actually costing me real money, having used up 2 GB (~$60). If anyone has seen this and discovered a real fix, I would love to hear about it!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 19, 2014 1:22 PM

5 replies

Jul 19, 2014 1:51 PM in response to sberman

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions sberman. Turning off cellular data prevents data from being used, but isn't a real fix. I need to use cellular data (that's the whole point of paying for it!) and in any case, as soon as I turn it on, data starts being used behind my back again. I do have data roaming turned off but that's a moot point because I'm not roaming. I'm using a prepaid SIM card purchased locally in the places I'm traveling. I also have already turned on limit ad tracking (I've had that set forever) which has no effect on this problem.

Jul 24, 2014 6:28 AM in response to mduser63

I had the same problem. Mapping Services used 1G of data over night while I was sleeping. My location services are turned off and anything else that could use mapping services. I reported the problem to Vodacom (Network service provider in South Africa) and they told me they had numerous complaints regarding this and they are going to refund my money, BUT they cannot tell me how to solve the problem going forward. Vodacom advised that Apple are upgrading their maps from Google Maps to their own iMaps application and that is why the data is being depleted in the background. This makes no sense to me though. How can they take data from customers to upgrade their systems. Very frustrating.

My next step is to go into the apple store and see if they can do anything. If I happen to find a solution from apple I will be sure to let you know!

Fix for excessive data usage for "mapping services"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.