11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2016 10:40 AM by dsyt
adb605 Level 1 Level 1

I have a late 2009 intel iMac 21.5 running OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks. I upgraded the OS a few months ago and connection to the internet has been fine. The Mac has been shutdown for a couple days and today the ethernet connection says there isn't a cable, although there is. I've rebooted the router (Sky) and the Mac several times but still no connection. Tried different port on router, different cable still no connection. both cables on all ports connect to MBP no problem so I think its the ethernet port on the Mac but why it should suddenly stop working when not in use I don't know. Can anybody help please?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)
  • adb605 Level 1 Level 1

Mike, thank you the response, I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM but still no connection. We had some thunder and lightening yesterday would this have damaged the ethernet port?

• Mike Sombrio Level 6 Level 6

Lightning damage is possible. you might want to try running the Apple Hardware Test from disc 2 of your original discs to see if it reports any error.

• adb605 Level 1 Level 1

Mike, I've just run the Apple Hardware Test, there were no error reports and still no ethernet connection. I've also tried resetting the Sky router as oppose to rebooting it but no result there either.

I Wouldn't think that there is a problem with either the router or the cables since everything connects fine on your MBP. make sure that you've got the Ethernet cable plugged in securely. What does System Profiler report about Ethernet? Select Ethernet and Network in SP and see what they say. The only other thing I might suggest is to try reinstalling Mavericks from your recovery partition. After that I,d make an appointment at the nearest Apple Store to have it checked out....especially since you suspect that there may be lightning damage. It won't cost you anything to get a diagnostic and estimate if repairs are needed.

• rack0 tack0 Level 4 Level 4

If the Apple store tell you it is a hardware fault caused by lightning you may be able to claim on your contents insurance.

• adb605 Level 1 Level 1

System Profiler, using DHCP, gives a DNS Server address and the status as cable unplugged. all the cables are securely plugged in and undamaged. I've just tried different ports on the router again just to make sure and theres no change. Is there anywhere on the computer to check the ethernet port is working (similar to Device Manager in Windows)? As you say, next step is to reinstall Mavericks and then off to Apple if that doesn't work.

Thanks for the advice regarding home insurance, it hadn't occurred to me to claim it so I'm bearing that in mind if all else fails.

• dsyt Level 1 Level 1

After I upgraded to 10.10.5, my late 2009 27iMac only works with cat5 cable DIRECTLY from the cable modem which is in the base basement. If I use the original connection which is through the cat5 wall socket, it will complaint "Cable Unplugged".

Tried reset PRAM, reset SMC, etc.

Should I install the original OS to avoid this problem? Any suggestion? Thanks.

You should probably repair the cable connection from your basement to the wall socket.

Try wiggling the ethernet plug in the port on the back of the mac while you watch to see if it connects.. My 2009 sometimes gets a little temperamental if I move it around too much.

• dsyt Level 1 Level 1

The original wiring (through wall socket) had been working with this particular 2009 27iMac for years before upgrade from 10.9.5 to 10.10.5. Tested this wiring with MacBook Air 2014, MacBook Pro 2016, PowerMac G4, & PC with Windows 7, Windows 8 which all works fine.

As I said, if I use a long enough cat 5 connect the same port from the modem in the basement directly to this 2009 27iMac, it also works fine. Guess the tiny circuit inside the wall socket makes the 2009 27iMac doesn't recognise the wiring.