Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't find password to mac mail account

My mac mail account quit working and is now saying: that the SMTP server smtp.me.com rejected the password and to enter it again. I have used what I am certain is the correct password but it won't accept it. Is there a way to find it or change it?

Posted on Jul 19, 2014 6:17 PM

2 replies

Jul 19, 2014 11:52 PM in response to Shaunce

Which version of OS X are you running?

You could try this - and what you see may depend on which OS you have installed - go to Utilities>Keychain Access, choose Passwords on the left, select the email account you're having problems with and then tick on 'Show password'. You'll be promoted for your computer admin password, type that and it may show you the password associated with the account.

Another possibility - and I'm not sure which OS this became effective, perhaps Mavericks, in Mail>Preferences>Accounts tab, select the troublesome account on the left and click the 'Advanced' tab and make sure 'Authenticatio'n is set to 'Apple Token' (make a note of the setting prior to making the change in case you need to revert) and test.

Jul 20, 2014 1:15 PM in response to Shaunce

Verify SMTP server is set correctly.

In Mail Preferences > Accounts, select your iCloud account. Is the outgoing server set for iCloud? If no, set correctly.

User uploaded file

Verify your password is correct

Log into your account to verify your password is correct. If it fails, reset password.

https://appleid.apple.com

If the password is correct, you can remove the account in System Preferences > iCloud by unchecking Mail then adding it back.

Verify Advanced setting > Authentication is set to Apple Token.

User uploaded file

can't find password to mac mail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.