Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine: iPhoto library

I'm using an external drive where I download my photos shooted by camera and I'm using iPhoto to import these photos (which stay on external drive) into the library of Mac's drive.

I'm using time machine where I included my external drive, so I need suggestion if you would exclude one of 2 archives for Time machine:

• Iphoto library on Mac drive
  • Canon archive folder on external drive

I'm using Airport time capsule.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 2:33 AM

11 replies

Jul 20, 2014 8:11 AM in response to Rickyleroy

WHile your question is not totally clear and has few details I think you say that you transfer your photos from your camera to an external drive (this is not necessary. Just import from the camera directly into iPhoto) and you want to know if you can delete the original photos after importing them to iPhoto.

ASsuming a default managed library (the advanced iPhoto preference to copy imported items to the iPhoto library is checked which is extremely strongly recommended) then yes. You can delete photos once they are imported. And as with allcomputer storage be sure you always have a good current backup

LN

Jul 20, 2014 8:55 AM in response to Rickyleroy

Is this your situation:

1. you have 2 EHDS. One for Time Machine and one where you download your photos from your camera before you import them into iPhoto.
  2. after importing the photos into your iPhoto Library you keep those source files as a kind of backup.
  3. you want to have both your boot drive with the iPhoto Library and the EHD that you download from your camera to to be backed up with Time Machine?

Is this correct? Do you have anything else on that 2nd EHD other than the Canon image file folder?

If your Time Machine hard drive has enough capacity to backup both of the other 2 drives I'd go ahead and back them both up with TM.

If you may run into space issues on the TM drive then exclude the 2nd EHD or, if there are other files on the drive, just the Canon archive folder on the other EHD.

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2014 2:59 AM in response to Old Toad

That's all rights for all 3 points.

My MAC's ssd disk is too small, 512 GB, so I have to store data both on it and on this usb external disk which contains Canon images files but some documents + software too. Busy space of external drive is about 100 GB, Time Capsule is 2 TB. I think to have no space problems.

Time machine ha configured as sourge resource: MAC's ssd disk + usb external disk.

I ask if you would exclude this canon image directory from usb external disk even if now there is no space issue but I can understand you say yes, it's possibile to exclude it.

Jul 21, 2014 3:07 AM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN wrote:

WHile your question is not totally clear and has few details I think you say that you transfer your photos from your camera to an external drive (this is not necessary. Just import from the camera directly into iPhoto) and you want to know if you can delete the original photos after importing them to iPhoto.

I came out Windows environment where Canon software downloads images into specific structure tree, renaming folders with specific name according shooting date, I'd like to keep this standard. If I imported images directly from camera by iPhoto, I don't know what it'll happen!!! In what folders my photo will go ? According to data folder again???! I don't think ....

Yes, I'd like to have only ONE images archive so I was thinking to delete original photos.

I'm using default managed library

Jul 21, 2014 5:12 AM in response to Rickyleroy

My work flow would be

1. Import the images to iPhoto directly.

2. Back up the Library. That backs up everything - originals photos, edit history, organisation, metadata.

3. Then if you want another back up of just the original images: Export them from iPhoto. You can export them named for whatever among structure you use in your iPhoto Events.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

Jul 22, 2014 4:25 AM in response to Rickyleroy

No there isn't.

However, you might ask yourself how valuable such a naming scheme actually is when to comes to finding your photos? Basing things on the date is fine when you have a few thousand, but once you get in to the tens of thousands, spread over 15 or more years it's quite pointless if you cannot remember offhand whether you went to New York in 2001 or 2002. Therefore a descriptive system - > New York 2002, Day one, Day two etc, will make it much easier to find your photos. And if you do know the date, then the camera exif still has that information and you can search on that too.

Jul 22, 2014 11:36 PM in response to Yer_Man

My previous archive was in Windows environment where Canon software kept folder structure as YYYY-MM-DD into my pc.

Now I imported this archive into iPhoto library and I'd like to keep the same structure, infact all imported images by iPhoto kept event name as YYYY-MM-DD while for new photos there is 'untitled event', this is the reason because I'm searching this automatic mechanism.

I'd like to keep images into several groups, where every group is shooting date.

What do you suggest me to organize my images event by iPhoto? You rename event every time you download photo group?

I decided to keep an images copy into external disk to read by Windows client (by HFS+ tool), do you suggest to export iPhoto periodically?

Does Export process to save only new photos? iPhoto export does incremental saves?!

Both for iPhoto library and for the external disk I decided to backup via Time machine.

Thanks for your precious suggestions

Jul 22, 2014 11:53 PM in response to Rickyleroy

My point about organising by date in the finder is that it's really easy to do, but over time and with large numbers of photos it's useless for quickly finding the photo you want.

If you want to do it then simply name the Events as you require on import. Only takes a couple of seconds.

The core issue here is that you have a limited system based on dates that's been forced on you by the primitive Canon software. Now you're using a much more flexible and capable app, and are trying to force the primitive system into that.

You can choose what to export from iPhoto: a single photo, an Event, a group of Events, or even the whole Library.

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

Just as an FYI here are some of the possibilities that organising with iPhoto offers:

I use Events simply as big buckets of Photos: Spring 08, July - Nov 06 are typical Events in my Library. I use keywords and Smart Albums extensively. I title the pics broadly.

I keyword on a

Who

What

Where basis (The When is in the photos's Exif metadata). I also rate the pics on a 1 - 5 star basis.

Using this system I can find pretty much find any pic in my 50k library in a couple of seconds.

So, for example, I have a batch of pics titled 'Seattle 08' and a typical keywording might include: John, Anne, Landscape, mountain, trees, snow. With a rating included it's so very easy to find the best pics we took at Mount Rainier.

File -> New Smart Album

set it to 'All"

title contains Seattle

keyword is mountain

keyword is snow

rating is 5 stars

Or, want a chronological album of John from birth to today?

New Smart Album

Keyword is John

Set the View options to Sort By Date Ascending

Want only the best pics?

add Rating is greater than 4 stars

The best thing about this system is that it's dynamic. If I add 50 more pics of John to the Library tomorrow, as I keyword and rate them they are added to the Smart Album.

In the end, organisation is about finding the pics. The point is to make locating that pic or batch of pics findable fast. This system works for me.

Time Machine: iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.