Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending a time capsule with airport express twice

Hi,

I have been trying to extend my existing wireless network recently but it never ended up how I wished...

I have one 4th generation Time Capsule (A1409) and two Airport Express 802.11n (1st generation A1264).

All currently have MAC Address base authentication and no security in place for was of testing (security not relevant at this point in time).

When I extend my Time Capsule with either Airport Express this works like a charm, the LEDs are all green and connection works for client devices.

When I extend my Time Capsule with both Airport Express the same applies, everything works.

However what I have found not to works it extending my Time Capsule with one Airport Express and then extending this Airport Express with the second Airport Express. While all LEDs are green and the second Airport is seen in the Airport Utility, I find no client are ever able to connect to it and alway either connect to the first Airport Express or to the Time Capsule. This is an issue I the area I want to cover is pretty big and I need the second Airport Express for the additional reach.

I haven't found anything against this setup, it however appears you can't connect to the second Airport. The Airport Utility would even accurately depict the situation with Airport Express one dotted line to Time Capsule, and Airport Express two dotted line to Airport Express one.

However no connection seam possible to Airport Express two.

I have swapped Airport Express one and two, and in this case Airport Express gets the clients and Airport Express one now extending Airport Express two gets none.

Is this an expected behavior, i.e. should I give up or is there anything I can do about this ?

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 7:23 AM

However what I have found not to works it extending my Time Capsule with one Airport Express and then extending this Airport Express with the second Airport Express.

Apple's "extend a wireless network" feature will only allow you to extend the signal one level, not two. It's possible to have more than one device extending the signal, but each extender must connect directly to the main base station.....not to another device that is already extending the signal.

The Airport Utility would even accurately depict the situation with Airport Express one dotted line to Time Capsule, and Airport Express two dotted line to Airport Express one.

This is an illusion. AirPort Express is "joining" the wireless network.....not extending it. When the Express "joins" a network, it can be used for AirPlay, or a remote printer could be connected to the USB port, but the Express will not provide any additional wireless signal coverage when it joins a network.

Is this an expected behavior

Yes. I can try to look up Apple's support document that explains this if you want more information, but you may likely already have all the information that you need. Let us know.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2014 7:23 AM in response to chelmi

However what I have found not to works it extending my Time Capsule with one Airport Express and then extending this Airport Express with the second Airport Express.

Apple's "extend a wireless network" feature will only allow you to extend the signal one level, not two. It's possible to have more than one device extending the signal, but each extender must connect directly to the main base station.....not to another device that is already extending the signal.

The Airport Utility would even accurately depict the situation with Airport Express one dotted line to Time Capsule, and Airport Express two dotted line to Airport Express one.

This is an illusion. AirPort Express is "joining" the wireless network.....not extending it. When the Express "joins" a network, it can be used for AirPlay, or a remote printer could be connected to the USB port, but the Express will not provide any additional wireless signal coverage when it joins a network.

Is this an expected behavior

Yes. I can try to look up Apple's support document that explains this if you want more information, but you may likely already have all the information that you need. Let us know.

Jul 21, 2014 12:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the clarification !

I ended up finding this documented here :

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

Important Note

User uploaded file

If another extended Wi-Fi base station ➋ is placed between the primary Wi-Fi base station ➊ and the extended Wi-Fi base station ➌, the extended Wi-Fi base station ➌ will not allow clients to join it. All extended Wi-Fi base stations must be in direct range of the primary Wi-Fi base station

Jun 9, 2015 12:10 AM in response to Bob Timmons

hello, what would be the solution to extend the network twice then. The signal doesn't reach from the base to the bed, even when i used a first extension it didn't solve it, it improved, extended the range but not to the kids bedroom which is still not covered. I bought a second airport express but it is not extending the range at all, only the first one is and it is not sufficient.

Thank you for advising

Jun 9, 2015 6:18 AM in response to tfransawi

There is no solution if you want both AirPort Expresses to connect using wireless and extend the network.

There is a solution if you can connect one or both Expresses to the main base station using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection.

Depending on which version of Express that you have, it also might be possible to connect the first Express to the main base station using a wired Ethernet cable connection, and then connect the second Express to the first Express using a wired Ethernet cable connection.

Extending a time capsule with airport express twice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.