Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launching iPhoto requires Aperture to be updated

I have just bought a new MBP. I used migration assistant to copy everything over from my old MBP and so far everything has worked perfectly.

However, I have just tried to open iPhoto and get a message saying 'Aperture library needs to be updated' Clicking the Update button takes me to the App store where I can buy Aperture, there is no update option as I have never owned Aperture.

I have tried moving my iPhoto library file to another location and clicking that which should launch the app and define a new directory path, but I still get the same prompt to update (or in my case BUY) Aperture.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is this a new requirement that you have to buy the app before it is shelved with Yosemite?

My main concern is the 10 years worth of photos I have on there that I don't want to lose.

Please help!

MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini and a few others...

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 11:01 AM

7 replies

Jul 22, 2014 1:35 AM in response to samthegap

Migration Assistant does not have a great record with iphoto Libraries. Try copy it over manually:

To move an iPhoto Library to a new machine:

Link the two Macs together: there are several ways to do this: Wireless Network,Firewire Target Disk Mode, Ethernet, or even just copy the Library to an external HD and then on to the new machine...

But however you do choose to link the two machines...

Simply copy the iPhoto Library from the Pictures Folder on the old Machine to the Pictures Folder on the new Machine.

Then launch iPhoto. That's it.

This moves photos, events, albums, books, keywords, slideshows and everything else.

Jul 22, 2014 2:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence

Thanks for the reply. I did actually try that after it initially failed via MA. I used a lightning cable to connect the two machines and copied over the library (1.6gb) however, I am getting an error saying content in the library caused the library to not copy over correctly. However, once copied over the file size is the same as the original library and I get the same message to upgrade Aperture to launch the app.

iPhoto opens correctly on the old MBP. Is there another way to export the library?

Thanks!
Sam.

Jul 22, 2014 3:15 AM in response to samthegap

The old MBP has iPhoto 9.5.1 (902.17) but I can't say what version the new MBP runs as it won't open...

A new MBP should come with iPhoto 9.5.1 preinstalled. You do not need to run iPhoto to tell its version number. You can see it, when you select the iPhoto application in the Applications folder in the Finder and use the command "File > Get Info ⌘I"

User uploaded file

Is really iPhoto 9.5.1 installed?

I used a lightning cable to connect the two machines and copied over the library (1.6gb) however

1.6 GB is very small for an iPhoto library. Did you just start with iPhoto? Or did you accidentally copy the iPhoto application from the Applications folder and not the iPhoto Library from the "Pictures" folder?

I am getting an error saying content in the library caused the library to not copy over correctly. However, once copied over the file size is the same as the original library and I get the same message to upgrade Aperture to launch the app.

This looks like a permissions problem. If you used Migration assistant to move your files and not the initial Setup Assistant, then your user accounts are not identical on both macs. Try a detour when copying the library by using a thumbs drive or an external disk.

On your old mac copy the library to a USB stick or external drive. This drive needs to be formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) and the "Ignore Ownership" flag set. (see this document how to prepare a drive for a library: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users)

Then connect this drive to your new mac and repair the permissions on the library:

User uploaded file

Hold down the key combination alt/option- command ⌥⌘ firmly and double click the iPhoto library to launch the First Aid Tools. Keep holding down the keys, until you are seeing the First Aid Panel. Select the first entry "Repair Permissions" from the panel and click "Repair".

Now copy the library over to your new Mac.

Jul 26, 2014 2:03 AM in response to léonie

Hi Guys

Just a quick note to say thanks a lot, this really helped and I now have my library working correctly on my new MBP.

I moved the file from the old library to an external hard drive (turns out it was over 160GB as you said it was rather small) then copied it to my new MBP and rebuilt the permissions using the prompt above.

Thanks a lot!

Launching iPhoto requires Aperture to be updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.