Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot boot mac (10.9); how to backup before reinstall

Hello,

All of sudden my mac failed to boot. It stays at the gray screen with progress bar at the bottom. Half way through it stopped and shut down itself.

I did some random researches online and tried to access disk utilities - verify disk. Half way through it prompted to ask me to repair some errors detected.

However, it failed to repair with following warning screen.

I am left with the option to reinstall the system but I am worried about losing data. Is there a way to back up the files(i have external hard drive) without actually in the system(unable to mount)? I have never backed up files using time machine.

Or if you know any alternatives to fix the problem? Thank you!!

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 11:57 AM

9 replies

Jul 20, 2014 12:05 PM in response to guch0803

guch0803,

there’s no guarantee that your data won’t be lost. You can try the method on this Apple page in the “Instructions for backing up to an external hard disk via Disk Utility” section. (You can skip step 6 there, since you already know that your disk is irreparable.) Once you get your disk sorted out, I’d recommend that you purchase an external disk for use as a Time Machine backup destination, so that if a similar problem should happen in the future, it wouldn’t wipe out your only copy of your personal files.

Jul 20, 2014 12:22 PM in response to guch0803

No, that's not safe mode. That's much worse: OS X- Gray progress bar appears under Apple logo during startup. I think at this point your only option for accessing your files is to try using Target Disk Mode if you have access to a second Mac. This would work as long as the drive is still accessible. If it isn't then there's little you can do without using file recovery software:

General File Recovery

If you stop using the drive it's possible to recover deleted files that have not been overwritten by using recovery software such as MAC Data Recovery, Data Rescue II, File Salvage or TechTool Pro. Each of the preceding come on bootable CDs to enable usage without risk of writing more data to the hard drive. Two free alternatives are Disk Drill and TestDisk. Look for them and demos at MacUpdate or CNET Downloads. Recovery software usually provide trial versions that enable you to determine if the software would help before actually paying for it. Beyond this or if the drive has completely failed, then you would need to send the drive to a recovery service which is very expensive.

The longer the hard drive remains in use and data are written to it, the greater the risk your deleted files will be overwritten.

Also visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on Data Recovery.

Jul 20, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Kappy

I just tried the safe mode. It stopped at the same place and then shut down itself. Thanks, I will try the Target Disk Mode when I find another mac.

Also, I see there are two disks shown in the disk utilities:

Macintosh HD(the problem one) - over 300GB size

Disk 1(OS X Base system) - about 1 GB Mounted

I'm not much a tech person and not really sure which is which.. Can you tell me where is my data stored?

Jul 20, 2014 12:55 PM in response to guch0803

No, you have only one disk. Disk 1 refers to either an optical DVD or a mounted recovery partition on the same drive or a volume that is no longer there and was not properly removed. It usually appears below the actual hard drive with a separation line between them.

Your data are stored on Macintosh HD.

Jul 20, 2014 5:12 PM in response to guch0803

That would work if you had a functioning drive, but you don't. Archive and Install is simply a way of reinstalling systems prior to Snow Leopard without erasing the hard drive. But to reinstall OS X that way requires a working hard drive. Furthermore, it requires that you are using Leopard or earlier which you aren't.

cannot boot mac (10.9); how to backup before reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.