Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow wake from sleep OS x 10.9.4

Hi,

My MacBook Pro 15in mid 2012 is very slow waking from sleep. It has gotten worse with the last OS upgrade.

If I am away for a couple of hours when I lift the lid I first get a noise I assume is the hard drive waking up. Then I get this window with short horizontal lines marching across it. This does not take too long. Next my login screen shows up. After a little while the cursor blinks. It will not respond to input yet and I cannot move the arrow with the trackpad. After a minute or so the trackpad controls the arrow and I can log in.

This only happens when I am running off of the power adapter. If I am on the battery- wakes instantly. If I have my portable hard drive plugged in it wakes instantly. My iPod plugged or unplugged- doesn't matter.

Computor is set to sleep after 15 min both power adapter and battery. display sleep 1 hour on PA, 5 min on battery.

This should not be such a big deal but it has gotten old. Any help is appreciated.

quinn

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 10.9.4

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 2:09 PM

13 replies

Jul 20, 2014 3:01 PM in response to t quinn

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

pmset -g | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Jul 20, 2014 4:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Thanks and here it is:

Active Profiles:

Battery Power -1

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standbydelay 4200

standby 0

womp 1

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

gpuswitch 2

sms 1

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 0

sleep 60

autopoweroffdelay 14400

hibernatemode 3

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 10

acwake 0

lidwake 1

quinn

Jul 20, 2014 5:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Well that doesn't make me any happier but at least I know why. I did a restart the other day and was slightly surprised that it did in fact take longer to start up when it had been shut down. But it wasn't much longer.

I would be happy to defeat hibernate mode when running on the power adapter but I don't see how.

quinn

Jul 20, 2014 5:22 PM in response to t quinn

Back up all data. Use this procedure at your own risk. I will not be able to help if it has unwanted results.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

sudo pmset -c hibernatemode 0

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting. You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. Confirm. You don't need to post the warning.

If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. Log in as one and start over.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered. You can then quit Terminal. Test.

To undo:

sudo pmset –c hibernatemode 3

Jul 20, 2014 6:50 PM in response to t quinn

This seems clear.

SwankPeRFectionMar 15, 2013 9:15 AM Re: MacBook switches to hibernation during sleep
Re: MacBook switches to hibernation during sleep in response to emailsfh

emailsfh wrote:

Hi SwankPeRFection, my question is slightly different. I already have my autopoweroff set to 0 for AC charging and 1 for battery, and that seems to work fine (sudo pmset -c autopoweroff 0, sudo pmset -b autopoweroff 1). I guess I'm talking about the "deep sleep" (standby?) option you were talking about a few messages back where the computer will save the settings to hard drive and hibernate when the battery gets LOW. How do you set it to do this automatically at a certain percentage of the battery?

That's an inherent behavior the hibernation mode you have set, which is currently 3 and it should be 3.

Fact is, Standby is hibernation for Battery profile and Autopoweroff is hibernation for AC Profile, nothing more. Ideally, the commands issued as a whole (for all profiles) if you don't want hibernation due to timeout is to just leave the delays at the default 4200 and 14400 seconds and just issue...

sudo pmset standby 0

sudo pmset autopoweroff 0

This will disable hibernation on both AC and Battery profiles and since you're not touching the hibernatemode setting, the emergency power reserve hibernation will still work when you run low on battery life.

slow wake from sleep OS x 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.