Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to import ID3 rating tags into iTunes

I have a very large collection of mp3s that I have rated with Windows Media Player (which stores them as ID3 tags in the files). I now want to move this collection to iTunes on a mac.

As far as I understand it, iTunes does not read the ID3 ratings from the files, and instead, stores the ratings in its own database.

Is there a way I can import the ID3 ratings into the iTunes database?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 6:09 PM

3 replies

Jun 1, 2015 5:09 PM in response to alain_desilets

I too have had this problem, so I wrote up a quick applescript. It requires the EXIFTool to be installed from here: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Simply paste this script into Script Editor, save it to file and copy it to your Library/iTunes/Scripts folder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

tell application "iTunes"

-- act on particular tracks or all tracks currently displayed

if selection is not {} then

set sel to selection

else

set sel to file tracks of view of front window

end if

-- loop through each selected track

repeat with aTrack in sel

set loc to aTrack's location

set prettyloc to (quoted form of POSIX path of loc) as string

set popm to do shell script ("exiftool -Popularimeter " & prettyloc & "|sed s'/^.*Rating=//g;s/ .*//g;'")

try

set trackrating to round (popm / 2.56) as number

end try

if class of trackrating is integer and trackrating > 0 then

tell aTrack

set rating to trackrating

end tell

end if

end repeat

end tell

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

How to import ID3 rating tags into iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.