Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use internet explorer in Mac air (Mavericks OS)

I wanna use internet explorer in Mac air, Which is of Mavericks OS 10.9.4.

Please anybody help me out.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2014 9:51 PM

16 replies

Jul 28, 2014 6:31 AM in response to yeswanthfrombangalore

yeswanthfrombangalore wrote:

because we can use some websites fully only with IE.

Then it is likely that those sites use Windows Proprietary extensions like ActiveX. Even if you could find a version of IE for the Mac, those sites would still not work. Some very incompetent web designers can create sites that require Windows proprietary tools to access all of there features. You would have to be running Windows to access those things.

Jul 28, 2014 6:42 AM in response to yeswanthfrombangalore

I understand why you want to use IE, but I think you should reconsider:

Any web site that "requires" IE isn't standards-compliant, and it probably means that the company hired incompetent web designers. (it doesn't take much to design web pages without IE non-standard methods - and it probably requires people that have experience with more than one Windows-only design tool)

Do you really want to do business with companies that are that "cheap?"

(Oh - Barney-15E said it first!)

Jul 28, 2014 8:15 AM in response to yeswanthfrombangalore

yeswanthfrombangalore wrote:

because we can use some websites fully only with IE.

OK, so I'm going to make a few assumptions... Please correct any of these assumptions that are wrong here, of course.

You're working inside a moderate or large entity, and you're probably dealing with internal-facing or corporate-IT-based software or purpose-built internal software, and that software is compatible with older versions of Microsoft Windows and older versions of Internet Explorer, and that software probably also only works with newer versions of Internet Explorer when those versions are switched into IE6 compatibility mode.

In other words, you need compatibility with the older Microsoft browsers, and probably prior to the move toward better standards compliance.

If so, your choice is pretty simple: run IE6 or whatever older version, in a virtual machine, on OS X. Here's an older explanation of how to do that — I don't know off-hand if those testing VMs are still around, or if those have been updated with the more recent IE versions.

There's a Firefox extension or two around that claims Internet Explorer compatibility, and that may or may not work for your requirements. IE Tab is one, IE viewanother.

The older Internet Explorer for Mac is long gone, and entirely incompatible with Mavericks OS X.

If you are using this sort of Enterprise web software as I might infer, then this stuff is already a problem given even Microsoft is moving away from this approach, but you knew that. Fixing this and moving toward standards-complaince is probably outside of your portfolio, however. So... See above.

How to use internet explorer in Mac air (Mavericks OS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.