Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find out if my G5 (from the UK) can run on US voltage (without a transformer)?

Hi there, I bought my G5 in the UK somewhere around 2006-2008. I've just moved to the US and want to find out if I can plug it into the mains without a transformer. A couple of forum replies refered to a sticker near the power cord which should tell me what voltages my mac can run on. There isn't a sticker (or any text) on the body of the mac which indicates voltage. But the power cord itself just says '10A 250V'. At the same time, an Apple Support page (Apple Power Supplies: Changing voltage settings) says that all iMac G5s (except those sold in the US/Canada/Japan) are auto-switching - that suggests that my mac ought to be auto-switching. Does anyone know how I could find out for certain (without actually plugging it in)? Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, G5

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 12:48 AM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2014 2:15 AM in response to UK_to_US

As you cannot get into your machine without connection, the best source for confirmation is the user manual.

All the same, I do believe all G5 machines will work with power input from 110v to 240v excepting the small number of US sold G5s which did not have the dual voltage facility. The power cord is telling you that 250v is the maximum it will accept and that in itself allows for all possibilities. I don't know what information the G5 carries externally, or inside the case, but if you can determine the sort of details available in a modern Mac (About this Mac), Apple can tell you with a simple phone call.

Are there any plates covering access points for upgrading memory etc. There could be details on the back of that.

How do I find out if my G5 (from the UK) can run on US voltage (without a transformer)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.