Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro

Good afternoon,

I have recently bought a cheap old Mac Pro (2007) from my school. Using BootCamp I tried to install Windows 8, as OSX couldn`t be updated any further. When Bootcamp restarted the Mac and asked me to insert the Windows Disk, I inserted a Windows 8 (64bit) disk. But as soon as it tried to boot from the disk I got the following error:

Select CD-Rom Boot type:

Neither pressing 1 nor 2 worked and since then I wasn`t able to boot the normal OSX either. As I read, that this error occurs if the Mac can not handle a 64bit system I tried to start it with a 32bit disk. I also tried with new disk, in case the disk was corrupted but nothing worked. So the problem is, that I`m not able to install any OS and can`t start the OSX. Besides Windows I also tried to install Ubuntu, which also didn`t work. I furthermore tried to install an OS from the disk with only one empty harddisk installed, didn`t work either. Of course I tried to start the Recovery System, and all the other Keyboard "Shortcuts" I could find on the internet but always got the same Error.

So the question basically is: Is there anything else I could try, to not have to throw it away?

Thank you very much in advance, and let me know if there is any additional Information you might need to help. As I can`t start the OS I can not provide any information about the version of the OSX. All I remember was, that it was 10 point Something, if that helps.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 8:53 AM

4 replies

Jul 21, 2014 9:03 AM in response to cycralix

if you have the original system dvd, at least 10.4, see if you can start up with that--reboot with the disc in the drive, hold down the C key, and you should get something. You will at least be able to get to disk utility and verify/reformat the hard drive. I think you can also reinstall the OS from that. Hopefully you didn't have anything super important on this Mac Pro before things went sideways... also, check the dvd drive to see if it's working okay. you can use a spare one from a broken PC (should you be able to find one), as it's an ATAPI/IDE drive, maybe some compressed air might help. I think you might be able to choose a recovery partition at boot-up (command+R) but, I'd probably be wrong....

apart from starting over and reinstalling the OS from scratch, I got nothin' else

John b

Jul 21, 2014 9:29 AM in response to cycralix

I still use Lion and works fine.

You are up against the 32-bit EFI and the EFI that Windows ever since Vista SP1 uses.

you can use Imgburn to alter the ISO.

Depends what you tried to use but avoid Boot Camp Assistant.

And clone your OS X system drive. When installing alternate OS, just pull your Mac or other systems and dedicate a drive to Windows or Ubuntu etc.

If you can install Windows on a PC, then before it reboots onto that system, pull it and move it to the Mac and you should be fine. That is the easy way.

In the end though I did run 8.1 on my Mac Pro 1,1 I opted to configure a PC with better specs in the end and i5 or i7 4xxx (with 16GB, some SSDs, SATA III and modern gpu).

You could run Windows as a VM but with just 4-core? pushing it. The 8-core 2007 53xx are better and put OS X on its own SSD and if it has room, Windows now that 500GB SSD are around $400.

Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.