Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

folders icons keep changing size

I am using Maverick on a 27" I-Mac

Operating system 10.9.4

I set my folder icon for a particular size.

Example the documents folder is set at 84 x 84.

After working on the computer for a little while the folder reverts back to 32 x 32.

This happens in a lot of folders, and others are fine.

Even the main desktop window when you open the "Macintosh HD" window it does this too.

I have it set at 224 x 224, and it reverts back to 32 x 32.

It is extremely annoying because I have a 27" I-Mac and I can't see the folders properly.

Please help anyone.

I call Apple technical support, and they could not offer an answer.

It went to the engineering department, and had no answer either.

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 9:44 AM

14 replies

Jul 21, 2014 11:40 AM in response to markstockbroker

Go into your Home/Library/Preferences folder and move the com.apple.finder.plist file to the Desktop. Reboot, reset the icon and window sizes and check to see if they remain set.

NOTE: In Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 21, 2014 1:21 PM in response to markstockbroker

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore is not, in itself, a solution.

First, empty the Trash, if possible.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) 2>&- | wc -l | pbcopy

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be a number. It's automatically copied to the Clipboard. Please paste it into a reply.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Jul 23, 2014 8:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

Again, tried this with an Apple technician (level 2).

It took a long time to finish the procedure, and it still did not correct the problem.

This problem was escalated to the engineering department.

They said it was a bug in the operating system.

It has been nearly a year, and they have not fixed it.

This is the last time I give Apple Computer my loyalty when buying anything from them!

They know the problem, and won't fix it.

Thank you.

Jul 28, 2014 4:53 PM in response to Old Toad

I reinstalled the Apple system software.

I then used Time Machine to restore my documents and programs.

It was a very long process, and in the end the problem continues.

I don't know what is causing this, but I contacted technical support again, and they said other people are experiencing this problem too.

They won't say if Apple will fix this problem.

Very disappointed in them.

The basic icon folder interface is having this problem.

Shame on Apple for not fixing the problem.

I guess I am out of options in solving this problem.

It will be up to Apple to step up, and be responsible for fixing it.

If you have any more advice it would be appreciated, but I think I am out of options.

Thanks for all your help.

folders icons keep changing size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.