Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted videos from iphoto but they are still showing up in the finder?

I deleted all of my videos from iPhoto and moved them to an external hard drive because I wanted to free up some space on my MacBook Air. The files are no longer visible in the iPhoto application, but for some reason, when I look at the storage space on my computer, it is still showing that I have 8GB of movies on my computer. If I search in the Finder, it is showing that a lot of these videos that I deleted from iPhoto are still in a "Masters" folder in iPhoto. I am confused, though, because if I open iPhoto, the videos are not in there. I want these video files to be deleted for good - can I just go in to the "Masters" folder in the Finder and delete them there? I've read not to delete anything from iPhoto in the Finder, though. So, getting very frustrated because I'm not sure why these files aren't fully deleted off my computer. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 12:44 PM

4 replies

Jul 21, 2014 1:42 PM in response to ltiede12

Try this. Make a new Smart Album in iPhoto, and set it with the rule "Photo ... is ... Movie". If you get results in there, you can right-click on a movie and click Show Event - and then delete the movie from that screen. (You won't be able to delete directly from the Smart Album).

If that doesn't work, you may need to rebuild the library (hold down Option as you launch iPhoto) to ensure the movies are properly deleted.

Matt

Jul 21, 2014 11:24 PM in response to ltiede12

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Deleted videos from iphoto but they are still showing up in the finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.