Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared iMac, different users, different iTunes accounts - 90 day hold???

My wife and I are trying to setup her user profile on our iMac.

iTunes says that if we authorize her iTunes account on the computer that it will disable my iTunes account on the iMac.

Suggesting that the one iMac can only be authorized to one iTunes account.

We are not trying to share music, just use our own account info to access what we each paid for when we had separate computers.

How can we share the iMac with different iTunes accounts, while on separate user accounts?

Can a single computer have more than one user and more than one iTunes account authorized?

What glaringly obvious thing am I completely missing?

Many thanks in advance to whatever kind soul cares to thin my density...

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 2:57 PM

The glaringly obvious part is interpreting word-for-word the documentation.

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627 - In connection with, "When you turn on iTunes Match or Automatic Downloads, or when you download past purchases on an iOS device or computer, that device or computer becomes associated with your Apple ID." "Your Apple ID can have up to 10 devices and computers (combined) associated with it. Each computer must also be authorized using the same Apple ID. Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days."Re: iTunes account Query

As the above indicate and say, the 90 day limit applies when you wish to change authorization for the purpose of re-downloading (make sure you see the "re" as in download a second time, not the first time) or use iTunes Match, or automatic download to ensure all purchases are automatically on a computer (all basically forms of re-downloading music). You can use your computer for multiple accounts and multiple authorizations. You can each make and download new purchases when you want. It helps to make sure you have all purchases backed up so you do not need to frequently re-download, that's when the problems arise.

There is statement as to why this is in effect, but you can see it would deter media piracy by preventing groups of people going around to friends' computers and having media download parties.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2014 2:57 PM in response to w!ll

The glaringly obvious part is interpreting word-for-word the documentation.

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627 - In connection with, "When you turn on iTunes Match or Automatic Downloads, or when you download past purchases on an iOS device or computer, that device or computer becomes associated with your Apple ID." "Your Apple ID can have up to 10 devices and computers (combined) associated with it. Each computer must also be authorized using the same Apple ID. Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days."Re: iTunes account Query

As the above indicate and say, the 90 day limit applies when you wish to change authorization for the purpose of re-downloading (make sure you see the "re" as in download a second time, not the first time) or use iTunes Match, or automatic download to ensure all purchases are automatically on a computer (all basically forms of re-downloading music). You can use your computer for multiple accounts and multiple authorizations. You can each make and download new purchases when you want. It helps to make sure you have all purchases backed up so you do not need to frequently re-download, that's when the problems arise.

There is statement as to why this is in effect, but you can see it would deter media piracy by preventing groups of people going around to friends' computers and having media download parties.

Apr 20, 2016 7:40 AM in response to Limnos

I read your reply to w!ll above, and read the associated Apple articles (ticked 'this helped me'!)

So my setup on my Mac is that I have a user account and so does my wife. We both have separate iTunes Match subscriptions. I successfully put the iTunes folder in the Shared folder, added the iTunes folder as a shared item in Shared|System Preferences, made sure we were both listed for read-write in Finder|Get Info|Permissions, and have said iTunes Music folder entered in iTunes|Preferences|Advanced. Both she and I in our respective user profiles on the Mac can utilize the music, no problems.

I have a 90 day lockout, I think on her AppleID, I think because when in her user profile I clicked on "Add This Computer" in the Account section. Or the other way round, sorry not sure.

In my iTunes, the Library|Update iTunes Match seems to have disappeared and I note my iPhone doesn't reflect changes to the library anymore. My iPhone is listed as an associated device.

In hers, only the Mac is listed as an associated device (I removed her iPhone in my user account iTunes|Account, thinking I could then re-enlist it).

I can get all the music on my iPhone via Match, but my iPhone doesn't reflect any changes made to the music library. How do you refresh iTunes Match, do I do something on my iPhone or should iTunes on the Mac automatically pump out all changes/additions to the library?

Obviously I've done something untoward, perhaps you shouldn't ever click that "Add This Computer" in either user profile? But then would we both be able to have a continuously updated music listing on our respective iPhones?

I'm reckoning that she has to wait 90 days now, which means she'll be pestering me to borrow my iPhone for three months, and playing a lot of country music on it yikes! But why can't I at any rate update iTunes Match on my own iPhone?

Thanks very much if you have the time to enlighten me.

Shared iMac, different users, different iTunes accounts - 90 day hold???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.