Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme drive, OK then, now files are missing

I bought a new Airport Extreme, and wanted to use an externally powered USB 1 TB hard drive. I formatted the drive Mac OS Extended Journalized. Connected it and followed instructions and it worked fine for several days. I was able to share, copy, write, etc, no problems. Running current Mavericks version on all macs.

Yesterday when I started my mac, the drive showed up and I connected to the drive but all my files (234GB) were missing. Tried this on my macbook with the same results. So I disconnected the USB drive from the Airport, and connected directly to the macbook. All the files showed up and I was able to read the files. I did a disk utility and the results were that it was OK.

I connect back to the Airport and the only files that show up are two hidden files, .com.apple.timemachine.supported and .DS_Store.

Without reformatting the drive and loading up all the files again, I'd like to know:

1. What caused this and how to repair it?

2. How can I avoid this from happening again?

3. Is there a correct procedure for removing the USB drive from the Airport Extreme?

Thanks for your help.

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 1:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 4:53 PM

Mavericks and permissions issues. Network drive functionality with Mavericks seems to have major problems.

I strongly recommend a full factory reset of the AE.

Set it up again with all names comply to SMB network standards.. SMB is windows standard networking. Since Mavericks Apple now uses SMB as default networking protocol. I do not know why.. and the move does seem to be strange.. but there you go.

So .. good names.. AEgen6 as base station name. AEwifi as wireless name. Make sure the disk share name is simple like data ..

Keep to short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

I also strongly recommend the following changes.

Set ipv6 to link local only .. this is default in the AE.. but check that it is.

User uploaded file

In the computer force the connection to link-local on wireless and ethernet (if you use it).

User uploaded file

ipv6 settings are now vital to the network.

Next manually mount the disk using AFP not SMB.

So in Finder use the top menu, Go.. Connect to server.

Type in AFP://AEgen6.local (Where AEgen6 is your new short name, replace with the name you use and local is default domain, which you won't have changed because you cannot. )

OR even better.

If the AE is router or fixed IP..

Use AFP://10.0.1.1 (replace with the actual IP.. this is default).

You can only do this with static IP.

Finder will search for network resources and come back with a request for password for disk access.. type that in and save in the keychain.

Try to also use computer share name that complies with SMB networking.. and all passwords should be pure alphanumeric. Don't use other characters.

The above is how to get it working.. but also to avoid it happening again.

BUT I do not expect perfect results. You may occasionally still run into permissions issues. Look up fixing permissions with Mavericks.. there are a number of sites as the issue is common.

You may find using a sparsebundle or DMG file as a container is better than just plonking files directly on the hard disk. It makes the files difficult to access from another computer on the network however.

You also have backup problems which should not be ignored. Time Machine cannot backup network disks.

3. Is there a correct procedure for removing the USB drive from the Airport Extreme?

The AE has almost no controls.. so there is nothing you can do even if you wanted.

It is always wise to make sure a disk is not spinning.. if it is spinning then it can be transferring files which will be corrupted.

Your hard disk might have a light when spinning.. always wait until it is spun down.. or if that doesn't happen files are not being transferred.. check activity monitor in the computer.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2014 4:53 PM in response to RickM2014

Mavericks and permissions issues. Network drive functionality with Mavericks seems to have major problems.

I strongly recommend a full factory reset of the AE.

Set it up again with all names comply to SMB network standards.. SMB is windows standard networking. Since Mavericks Apple now uses SMB as default networking protocol. I do not know why.. and the move does seem to be strange.. but there you go.

So .. good names.. AEgen6 as base station name. AEwifi as wireless name. Make sure the disk share name is simple like data ..

Keep to short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

I also strongly recommend the following changes.

Set ipv6 to link local only .. this is default in the AE.. but check that it is.

User uploaded file

In the computer force the connection to link-local on wireless and ethernet (if you use it).

User uploaded file

ipv6 settings are now vital to the network.

Next manually mount the disk using AFP not SMB.

So in Finder use the top menu, Go.. Connect to server.

Type in AFP://AEgen6.local (Where AEgen6 is your new short name, replace with the name you use and local is default domain, which you won't have changed because you cannot. )

OR even better.

If the AE is router or fixed IP..

Use AFP://10.0.1.1 (replace with the actual IP.. this is default).

You can only do this with static IP.

Finder will search for network resources and come back with a request for password for disk access.. type that in and save in the keychain.

Try to also use computer share name that complies with SMB networking.. and all passwords should be pure alphanumeric. Don't use other characters.

The above is how to get it working.. but also to avoid it happening again.

BUT I do not expect perfect results. You may occasionally still run into permissions issues. Look up fixing permissions with Mavericks.. there are a number of sites as the issue is common.

You may find using a sparsebundle or DMG file as a container is better than just plonking files directly on the hard disk. It makes the files difficult to access from another computer on the network however.

You also have backup problems which should not be ignored. Time Machine cannot backup network disks.

The AE has almost no controls.. so there is nothing you can do even if you wanted.

It is always wise to make sure a disk is not spinning.. if it is spinning then it can be transferring files which will be corrupted.

Your hard disk might have a light when spinning.. always wait until it is spun down.. or if that doesn't happen files are not being transferred.. check activity monitor in the computer.

Jul 22, 2014 10:17 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks, I will follow your recommendations. I'm going to try your advice, step by step. Should take a while to be sure it doesn't happen again. And I'll only load 50gb on it for the test.

Firstly, my AE name is too long and has "#" in it. Also, my disk share name is too long with spaces. I'll keep it to 8 characters, max.

BTW, in the interim, I contacted apple support and they said after checking with several levels of help support, that my problem was a first! They suggested that I reformat the drive, but to do a full erase before I format. I did not do that originally. The drive was a ntfs drive. Not sure if this was a correct solution as I could read everything on it when I connect to the macbook. Sounds more like a permissions issue.

Thanks again.

Jul 22, 2014 2:46 PM in response to RickM2014

When you format a drive from NTFS to HFS+ it is better to repartition it and use GUID instead of MBR. In theory both will work though.. and I really doubt this is the issue.. but it is worth doing it right.. before you load files on it.

I am getting old and having mental blanks.. but there can be other strange things happen.

When you plug a USB drive into an AE (or TC for that matter). It does not necessarily work.

Your hidden files might have tricked me.. they are not necessarily on the USB drive.. but rather the cache in RAM.

The general Apple info is here.

AirPort: How to mount an AirPort Extreme USB hard disk volume in Mac OS X and Windows

BUT not all drives simply work. Some need a powered hub even if your drive is recognised. I never got a lot of people filling in the response but there is enough to show this is not straight forward.

USB drive compatibility with Airport Routers. Help make database.

Aug 4, 2014 11:51 AM in response to LaPastenague

Update.....It's been over a week and things are very steady. I followed part of your recommendations. The drive was reformatted correctly with GUID and HFS+. Names shortened on all devices and with just doing that everything works fine. I also added a powered usb hub, and added another usb powered drive and that works fine. So with an older Seagate installed in a Rosewill external case and a WD Elements, it works. Both are 1TB in size. And both disks are also seen as Time Machine available disks. I also access these disks over the internet from a remote location.

I did not do anything with the IP6 settings, just left them on automatic.

Airport Extreme drive, OK then, now files are missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.