Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run windows on iMac 24-inch?

Hello,

I am new to apple, thinking about buying a second hand Imac 24-inch Early 2009.

Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,

Memory: 8Gb 1067 MHz DDR3,

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512 Mb,

OS X 10.9.2.

I understand bootcamp is included in this version of the OS and would like to know whether I can install and run windows 8.1

(which I need for a translation software that can only be installed on Windows).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 5:11 PM

3 replies

Jul 21, 2014 5:44 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you very much for your answer.

I have looked extensively at posts on forums but got confused by what seemed contradicting answers (I am very new to Apple computers).

Some posts mention that only 32-bit windows can be installed on iMac 24 early 2009.

So can I take it from your answer that it is possible (sorry for asking again, I work from home and need this to work smoothly, cannot afford to be stuck with a configuration that will not allow me to work under windows).

I am correct in thinking that bootcamp is included in OS X Mavericks or do I have to download it?

Many thanks.

Jul 21, 2014 6:04 PM in response to pallegre

The link titled System Requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems has a chart you need to use:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The above is the excerpt from the chart pertinent to your model. As you can see in order for you to run Windows on your computer you can only install Win 7 - 32-bit and would require using Boot Camp 4.x instead of the Boot Camp 5.x that is part of Mavericks. So whatever you read elsewhere they were right in saying you can only install 32-bit Windows on your model.

Can I run windows on iMac 24-inch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.