Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10.2 Basic Content Download is timing out

I purchased the loop pack for Garageband 10 for $4.99 and the loops would never finish downloading (I would get the same error I'm getting below), so I completely uninstalled Garageband and reinstalled it from the App Store. When I reinstalled it, I get the following screen when I launch Garageband (which is to be expected)

User uploaded file

As you can see, my broadband connection is downloading the content at a much faster rate than an hour. Sometimes it'll get halfway, sometimes even 2/3 of the way. However, I always end up getting the following error:

User uploaded file

The content downloads to a folder deep in /private/var/folders called lp10_ms3_content_2013 and is usually left with incomplete data. Even though it has a .resumeData file, it never resumes and I've been stuck in this loop and because of this, I can't even use Garageband.
User uploaded file

I also get an error in the logs that looks like this:

User uploaded file

My internet speed isn't the fastest in the world, but my speed is more than sufficient to complete a relatively small download.User uploaded file

Another thing worth mentioning: I've even attempted downloading the package manually from the link in the error log and installing it, but it still won't work because I'm assuming the download has to be validated through the Garageband application.

I'm at a loss and the only other thing I can think of to try is to take my laptop to work tomorrow and try this on a really fast internet connection. If it works, that's great but it's still not a reasonable solution because this should be downloading and installing with no issue based on the internet speed I have.

Open to suggestions!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), MBP Retina, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM

Posted on Jul 21, 2014 7:19 PM

6 replies

Jul 22, 2014 2:18 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for replying.

By default, I have my firewall on but I have Garageband listed to allow incoming connections in the Firewall Options as well as the Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections option checked. I use Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection for antivirus. I've temporarily turned the firewall off and even closed System Center Endpoint Protection to attempt this download and it still yields the same results.

In the logs, I can tell the antivirus software isn't preventing the download of these packages because if I look up "scep" (System Center Endpoint Protection) log events, I saw some where they detect the file being downloaded but the file gets flagged as "allowed."

This is literally the only thing I'm having trouble downloading on my laptop. I'm able to get software updates, apps from the App Store, downloads from various websites, etc.

I installed Garageband using the same Apple ID I'm signed into the App Store with. My method of reinstalling was by going to the App Store > Purchases and reinstalling from there.

Jul 23, 2014 2:00 PM in response to yahrdme

I downloaded my loops finally and I have 2,314 items in my Garageband loop library. However, even after downloading and installing these loops, when I open Garageband a download window opens and attempts to download them again! Not sure why.

I'm assuming that having the original loops plus the $4.99 loop package, my total of 2,314 items under loops should be accurate.

Jul 23, 2014 2:33 PM in response to yahrdme

I'm assuming that having the original loops plus the $4.99 loop package, my total of 2,314 items under loops should be accurate.

Check this document:

Expanding GarageBand for Mac (v10.0) content with an in-app purchase

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6031

With a one-time in-app purchase of $4.99 (USD), you can expand this content to 200 sounds, 2,000 loops, 15 drummers, and 40 basic lessons for guitar and piano. You also gain the ability to purchase additional Artist Lessons.

You have even more loops than promised. Do you now have at least 15 drummers?

However, even after downloading and installing these loops, when I open Garageband a download window opens and attempts to download them again! Not sure why.

This may be a problem with broken preferences files or Home Folder permissions, so GarageBand cannot store the information about the successful download. Or a problem with the App Store. I am not sure, which of both.

If the problem persists, try to reset the permissions on your Home Folder, as described in this post:

Re: Both iPhoto and Aperture hanging up immediately on launch

Or reset the App Store from the Debug menu, so it will forget the extra download. See Old Toad's post here on how to enable the "Debug" menu: Re: iPhoto update 'paused'

After a long search and checking the machine (verifying keychain certs and a lot of other stuff), I discovered the following:

The App Store app has a debug menu that may be turned on via:

defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool true

in Terminal.app.

Jul 23, 2014 5:49 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

You have even more loops than promised. Do you now have at least 15 drummers?

I opened up a songwriter track and when I look in Rock, Alternative, Songwriter and R&B there are 18 different people there. Under Drum Kits, 18 different drum kits so I assume it came with 3 originally and the $4.99 pack added the other 15. It looks like everything is here now.

I haven't tried to repair the home directory yet, but I have repaired permissions in Disk Utility. I will try the home directory repair.

I enabled Debug in App Store and clicked Reset Application. When I open Garageband, it isn't attempting to redownload loops, but I do have the ability to click Restore Purchase and it'll show this screen. I can always just not click Restore Purchase and ignore this.

User uploaded file

My amount of loops, along with a screenshot of songwriter mode:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I think I can consider this resolved. I'll attempt the home directory repair.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Jul 23, 2014 6:02 PM in response to yahrdme

When I open Garageband, it isn't attempting to redownload loops, but I do have the ability to click Restore Purchase and it'll show this screen. I can always just not click Restore Purchase and ignore this.

The "Restore Purchase" option will always be shown. It is available, so you do not need to to purchase the in-app purchase again, if you need to reinstall GarageBand after a clean install of your system, or if you want to install it on a different computer.

Garageband 10.2 Basic Content Download is timing out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.