Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older version of Garage Band on 10.9

Hello

I have recently purchased a mac with 10.9 and then downloaded the only available version of Garage Band on the appstore (version 10)

On my old Imac 10.6 I had garage band 4.1.2. When i try to read some of my old compositions on the new Garage band some elements are missing (like drums)

Is it possible to install on my new mac the older version of garage band I still have on my old I mac ?

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 3:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 4:10 AM

Do you still have the installer for GarageBand 4.1.2? It might work, if the installer is not an installer for a PowerPC version of GarageBand, but an Intel version.

Another thing you could try would be to migrate the missing items from the instrument library and Loop library.

See: GarageBand, Logic: Where loops get installed

You will need to copy all missing items from these folders:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

(look for missing instruments in all subfolders )

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2014 4:10 AM in response to Oresci

Do you still have the installer for GarageBand 4.1.2? It might work, if the installer is not an installer for a PowerPC version of GarageBand, but an Intel version.

Another thing you could try would be to migrate the missing items from the instrument library and Loop library.

See: GarageBand, Logic: Where loops get installed

You will need to copy all missing items from these folders:

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

(look for missing instruments in all subfolders )

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/

Jul 22, 2014 10:49 AM in response to léonie

Hello,

thanks for your answer,

I'm not sure what you mean by "installer", Garage Band was already installed on my mac when I bought it (it was tiger, and yes it was already intel)

I know where to find the files

what i tried to do was this

1. copy paste my garage band application from my old mac to an external hard drive then to my new mac

2. did the same for the files in

library/application support/audio/apple loops

library/application support/garageband/instrument library

but when i tried to open either garage band or a garage band files, i had a message telling me that the instrument library i had was invalid or something.

I'll try again tomorrow using the link you have provide me.

Thank you

Jul 22, 2014 11:15 AM in response to Oresci

I'm not sure what you mean by "installer", Garage Band was already installed on my mac when I bought it (it was tiger, and yes it was already intel)

If it came preinstalled, the system install disks may include installers for bundled software - GarageBand, iPhoto, etc. Check the disks that came with your Mac. If you want the old GarageBand to run, you it is better to run the installer. I am not sure, which additional files the older GarageBand will need.

1. copy paste my garage band application from my old mac to an external hard drive then to my new mac

Did you rename your GarageBand 10.0, so it was not overwritten?

When I suggested to migrate instruments and loops of your old GarageBand installation, I meant it as an option to use the older instruments with the new GarageBand 10.0. They should work, if installed in the right places.

But the old GarageBand 4 may not understand the new instrument library of GarageBand 10.0.

Older version of Garage Band on 10.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.