Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing OSX on brand new HDD on Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009

I have installed a brand new solid state hard drive in my macbook pro 13" mid 2009.

I replaced the old hard drive because it was failing.

Now that I have the new hard drive installed I am struggling to get OS X installed onto the new hard drive. I have ruled out using a USB enclosure on the old hard drive to do the transfer because it was failing.

I do have the original OSX snow leopard start up disk. I have tried using this to install OSX onto the new HDD but it would not work.

I think it might be because the new HDD is unformatted?

I have also been into disk utility to try to resolve this but this does not work.

I have tried partitioning the new HDD but I get an error message "Partition failed .... POSIX reports: The operation cannot be completed. Cannot allocate memory".

I have also tried the restore function in Disk Utility to restore the disk using my time machine backup disk, but I get the error "Could not erase target - Operation not permitted"

I have also tried to restore the HDD from a time machine backup, but when I try to select a Destination it says the "disk does not have enough space to restore your system"

Any suggestions on how to solve this would be much appreciated 🙂

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 7:28 AM

I assume that you have an original Leopard installation disk or a white retail Snow Leopard disk.

Start your MBP with one of these disks holding the C key down.

Commence the installation process until you get a display with the menu bar on top.

Click on UTILITIES.

From the drop down menu, click on Disk Utility.

Select Disk Utility>Erase.

Format the SSD to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'.

Continue the OSX installation.

Ciao.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2014 7:28 AM in response to bolderclimber

I assume that you have an original Leopard installation disk or a white retail Snow Leopard disk.

Start your MBP with one of these disks holding the C key down.

Commence the installation process until you get a display with the menu bar on top.

Click on UTILITIES.

From the drop down menu, click on Disk Utility.

Select Disk Utility>Erase.

Format the SSD to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'.

Continue the OSX installation.

Ciao.

May 22, 2015 3:33 PM in response to bolderclimber

i recieved a Macbook pro 13" early 2011 without HDD. I added an 80GB i had laying around. Wiped it with windows. installed into macbook. Here are the steps i used to install lion. Be advised i used a windows to make my USB bootable for mac.

1. Used Transmac to format 8GB USB drive for Mac use.

2. Downloaded a OS X Lion 10.7.2.dmg

3. Restored USB using the OS X Lion 10.7.2.dmg by using Transmac

4. rebooted Macbook by holding Option key and USB plugged in

5. Noticed USB was recognized with OS X lion in it.

6. Disk Utility came up and wiped 80GB to prepare for install.

7. Installed Lion 10.7.2 as we speak. Will update as soon as possible to Maverick.

Jul 23, 2014 8:51 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi Ogelthorpe. Thanks for your note.

That is correct I have the original Leopard install disk.

I did exactly what you said. However, when I try to erase the HDD, it says there is an error "Cannot Allocate Memory".

When I try to format/ partition the HDD to Mac OS Extended Journaled, it says there is an error " POSIX reports - Operation Cannot be completed. Cannot Allocate Memory"

Any ideas what this error message means?

Thanks

Installing OSX on brand new HDD on Macbook Pro 13" Mid 2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.