Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

filter using popup menu selection

Hi. New to Numers and getting to grips with it slowly. I want fields to populate based on the selection from a pop up menu (drop down box). The way I think I would be able to do this would be to set filters so that you see certain cells based on the selection, Can any one tell me if its possible and if it is how I can use the selection from a popup menu to filter the cells below it on a table? Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 12:31 PM

6 replies

Jul 28, 2014 2:57 PM in response to Elbartino

Hi Elbartino,

The short answer, as you may guess, is no, you can't do that with filters. There are always workarounds.

I want fields to populate based on the selection from a pop up menu

The big question is what are you trying to accomplish? Sometimes the most obvious way to us is not the best way to use a program.

quinn

Jul 29, 2014 5:57 AM in response to t quinn

Hi Quinn

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Im trying to accomplish a form that is used on the field that changes values based on the selection.

To give an example: the form is for a fuel tank which can have a hand pump or an electric pump attached. If a hand pump is selected from the drop down box I want different questions following this than I would I would be presented with if I selected an electric pump from the drop down box. Obviously I can do 2 forms but because the other areas of the form are relevant to both types of tank it would be good to have the one form that can be easily adapted accordingly based on that selection.

elbartino

Jul 29, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Elbartino

Hi Elbartino,

Here is a set up that will show or hide rows according to what is chosen in a popup. It will work on a Mac. Your reference to forms make me wonder if you are wanting to use this in iOS on an iPad. It will not work in a form there. Forms do not respond to what is filtered on their source table.

User uploaded file

The filter will run on column B (this can be hidden). Any line in the table that you want to show will have to have "show" here. "show" can be whatever you want.

For the electric questions the formula has "electric" instead of "Hand". These can be whatever you want.

User uploaded file

Hide colomn B and you should be all set. Unless, of course you wanted to do this in a form in iOS and then my first answer ("No you can't do that") rules.

quinn

filter using popup menu selection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.