Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Panic.ips error message

I went swimming with my phone in my pocket about a month ago. I immediately turned the device off and placed in a bag of rice to dry it out. Now a month later, it is functioning normally with the exception of the random restarts. I checked the Diagnostic & Usage Data for anything useful, and noticed that a panic.ips file was created every time the device was restarted.

The file reads as:

{"os_version":"iOS 7.1.2 (11D257)","bug_type":"110"} Incident Identifier: 04D42BDF-EC73-41FD-A095-8924F1ADA8B4 CrashReporter Key: 388cf09bd5d3f491355bdca7d9f8faba8858292e Hardware Model: iPhone5,1 Date/Time: 2014-07-21 21:54:02.234 -0700 OS Version: iOS 7.1.2 (11D257) CRC ERR!

Does anyone know what this means?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 6:38 PM

13 replies

Sep 10, 2014 9:52 AM in response to jeremyp.costello

seeing same thing.. iPhone 5s running 7.1.2 just started today after first reporting power stuck at 43%.. after reboot fully charged at 100% but now power cycling every 3-5 mins with CRC errors.. did backup and restore (with a bunch of reboots in the middle) and it came back to the same state all over again.. CRC errors are usually memory issues.. and well written software should block out bad memory sectors to avoid hitting them again, right? apple's iphone 6 upgrade strategy or a really bad batch of memory all dying at same time.. and software that doesn't know how to handle it. ?

Apr 1, 2015 10:03 AM in response to MobileHero

Is it a hardware bug (new battery, new display, ...) or is it a software bug?

I have currently the following suspects:

- Battery (replacement part from Apple in use)

- Display (replacement part from Apple in use)

- Flash storage (free disk space very low (< 1 GB left))

- iOS

The ResetCounter-Log created after reboot of the iDevice has "bug_type" = 115).

What do you think?

Apr 1, 2016 3:08 PM in response to MobileHero

I was at a Genius Bar. They opened it and checked the battery, which was fine (which wasn´t a new fact for me, I used iBackupBot, full charge capacity still OK). They mentioned the not original anymore screen I replaced when killing the original one. They basically told me, to live with the FREEZES/REBOOTS because it´s pretty likely it´s the logic board. Apple does not sell them, it would be 279 € for getting a replacement device (most likely a refurbished). They also recommended to not restore the iPhone, because during this process the restore might fail and lead e. g. to an error 53 code, which means: put the device as defect on ebay.

I did a few further checks by myself like changing battery and display again to other/original hardware, also checked several connectors, removed battery health apps etc.. Didn´t make any difference, still FREEZED/REBOOTED.

Today I did, what I didn´t for a very long time - about the same period of time, the iPhone suffers from those panic.ips WDT timeout FREEZES/REBOOTS: I did an iOS update using iTunes, instead of the (much quicker, but only incremental) OTA update. Using iTunes the full operating system is replaced, not only the changed parts.

After the iOS 9.3.1 update I performed a few tests, which usually guaranteed lead to a FREEZE/REBOOT, like e. g. performing app updates. I collected them the last days, 18 updates without a problem. At the beginning it "soft-freezed" (clock didn´t change for a few minutes), but the hardware was functional (like e. g. working display brightness sensor or still playing music), it ended with "apps can´t be loaded at the moment" message. Performed the updates again, finish. iOS now managed to NOT run into a timeout ("WDT timeout"), there was no REBOOT, no panic.ips. So I guess it was a defect system file/setting, which was replaced by an original/not defect.

I´ll monitor this closely the next days and weeks, but for the first time after 15 months I´m really confident.

To all the others still suffering from the same: It MIGHT be worth a try (iOS update using iTunes). Did you also perform the iOS updates always via OTA? panic.ips seems to has several reasons, so there´s no guarantee it will work - maybe just give it a try (after performing an iTunes backup of course).

May 8, 2016 7:52 PM in response to MobileHero

Same problem after doing OTA update from iOS 7.1.1 to 9.3.1 on 3rd gen iPad. The upate failed, and I was stuck in constant reboot every few minutes. Was finally able to update to iOS 9.3.1 using iTunes. But after that I had 2 problems, I couldn't activate the iPad one, and two it was still rebooting. The activation problem is confusing because it was a know iOS 9.3.1 issue that was supposed to have been resolved, but wasn't for me. I don't know about the reboot problem. Makes me think I got a bad update or partially through he update, and it bricked my device. Still had these problems after doing a full restore in Recovery Mode with iTunes. Went to Apple Store and they told me it was probably a logic board problem and the best they could do was offer the same model iPad for $300... I can buy a new 16 GB refurbished iPad Air for $340 so I said no. I'm skeptical it's realky a hardware problem because it was working fine before the update. I'm going to wait for the iOS 9.3.2 update which will probably be out in a few weeks, before I dish out $340 for a new iPad, maybe I'll get lucky, if lucky is even the right word to use.

Panic.ips error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.