Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When exporting as Word, stop inserting hyphens

I just recently got Pages, I'm not sure how to fix this. I don't want hyphens at the end of lines breaking up words throughout my document, so I unchecked hyphenation and everything is fine in Pages. But I need the document in Word, and when I export as a Word file, the hyphens reappear at the end of lines. How do I stop Pages from inserting the hyphens at the end of lines when it exports a file as a Word document?

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 6:16 PM

11 replies

Jul 22, 2014 6:40 PM in response to bookwurmy

There are two locations where one enables/disables Pages hyphenation. It is not clear whether either will override Pages v5 sense of exportation folly. As the Pages v5 to Word transformation (export) takes place, there may be internal MS Word formatting rules that Pages may attempt to follow (or disobey) that can lead to your hyphenation issue.

1. Document panel - Hyphenation
  2. Format > Text > More - Remove paragraph hyphenation

Mar 2, 2015 10:12 AM in response to bookwurmy

I have the same problem with hyphenation. It will not save my settings. The default settings also reoccur in the header & page numbers. I am so frustrated with Pages. All of my professors require papers submitted in a Word document. Trying to get the paper to look acceptable after exporting pages to word takes longer than writing the actual paper!!!

Mar 2, 2015 11:34 AM in response to bookwurmy

Well, Pages v5 does not work in the native Word document format. Document translation in, and translation out. You have no control over what goes on in that export process — including Pages coercion to ignore hyphens on the way back to Word. Turning off hyphenation only works in the presently viewed Pages document format, not what Pages uses for export translation rules back to Word.

Mar 2, 2015 11:46 AM in response to VikingOSX

I accidentally found a way to correct this issue. I'm not sure if it's a long term solution but it seems to be working for me at this time. I have closed & reopened, printed, & emailed the document & the hyphens have not returned. The Word document looks identical to the Pages document.

This is what I did...

• Click "format", then click "more".
  • Under "Hyphenation & Ligatures" uncheck the box "remove paragraph hyphenation". (I clicked on each paragraph & unchecked the box)

After saving the document, the hyphenation does not reappear HOWEVER under the "Document" tab, hyphenation & ligatures remain checked. I don't know why this works but it does for now.

Jun 4, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Yellowbox

I had the same trouble when I converted an old WordPerfect document to Word for Mac. After trying a bunch of the ideas above, I emailed the original WP version to myself and opened it on a PC with that version of Word. It was fine. Then, when I emailed it back to myself and opened it on my Mac, the hyphenation was cleared up.

Yet another problem with Word for Mac that doesn't exist on the PC versions.

When exporting as Word, stop inserting hyphens

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.