Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM missing and strange serial number

Hello.

First of all, this font is amazing what is it?

Lets get to the problem,

Yesterday I started up a friends computer ready to play some games together, and it was like a rock trying to move up a hill, you get me, it was super slow. About 10 mins later it turned on and signed in with all of his icons gone so we had to wait another 5 mins (he has 15 inch retina macbook pro) then everything loaded and we played some games. My macbook was getting 30 fps while his was getting 1 fps. He said that usually his computer has 60-70 fps and this was not like normal.

My inner computer lover started to diagnose it when I saw that Physical Memory in Activity Monitor was only 4 gbs. I checked in System information and it says 4GB Installed, one slot with 4 gb and the other empty (not in use). I noticed something else as well with the serial number, it says "-1". I KNOW his serial number is not supposed to do that.

Any help will be appreciated.

Noah (My friend Tom's computer)

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 6:37 PM

Noah,

I believe that that font is Lucida Grande.

Has your friend Tom run his MacBook Pro’s Apple Hardware Test (or Apple Diagnostics, if it’s a Late 2013 model), to see if it can detect anything wrong with the hardware?

14 replies

Jul 22, 2014 9:08 PM in response to Melophage

Apple Diagnostics reported ok.

His computer is really slow, is it possible he dropped it and a Piece of memory fell out of the ram slot? He says he never dropped it. He does also game on gta: sa and that gets my computer really hot and i can usually only play about 10 mins at a time before my cpu is at 80 C. I don't know if his is the same and heat could melt the ram?

Jul 23, 2014 11:03 AM in response to Noah Farmer

Noah,

bumping doesn’t have much effect here.

Since your friend Tom has a Retina model, that means that its RAM is soldered in rather than inserted into sockets. If one of its RAM modules is no longer connected, then he’d need to take it to an Apple store for servicing. (Given its current behavior, getting a diagnosis on its current behavior from an Apple store might the best approach to take in any case.)

An internal temperature of 80 °C won’t melt RAM — it wouldn’t even boil water. When compiling, my MacBook Pro’s CPU can reach a little over 100 °C. As long as nothing blocks a MacBook Pro’s airflow, those temperatures can be handled; if needed, it will automatically throttle back its CPU to ensure that damaging temperatures are avoided.

Jul 23, 2014 8:02 PM in response to Noah Farmer

Before you get in your car and go anywhere, please take a look at https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2013+Tea rdown/18696

If this is not the correct model, you can find the correct one on iFixit. I suggest the soldering iron get a break, till you understand what you may need to do. Visual inspection (and a magnifying glass) can indicate burn marks, frayed solder, etc., as well as how much memory is actually soldered on the logic board. You may also void your warranty, if there is any, with a soldering iron.

Has this MBP ever been to a repair shop? Do you have Applecare on it? (The "-1" may also be related to the invisible 4GB DIMM).

If the nearest Apple Store is 17 hours, I presume a closer FedEx/UPS/USPS/DHL location exists which can drop it at a repair facility (not a store) after a discussion and mutual agreement with Apple Tech Support/Care.I have come across a couple where their Macs were shipped to a repair location.

Jul 24, 2014 2:58 PM in response to Loner T

Alright. I mailed it in yesterday and tom got this message in his email

Hello tom,

There is one 4 gb ram however the other one is missing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats how i remember it but there was a lot more in the email about unsoldering it and paying for a new one blah.

Goodnews they put the serial number back but its sad about the ram, any ideas what happened?

RAM missing and strange serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.