Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Headset: Gets sound from Computer (eg. iTunes), but not from Microphone

What a mess. I have a telephone interview, and my Logitech USB headset gets sound from Computer (eg. iTunes)—but not from Microphone!

• Not the fault of the headphones: same thing happens with other USB headphones.
  • Yesterday, the headphones did work properly!
  • I do (did) have some recording software before (Audio Hijack Pro). Don't know if that "set" some switch somewhere that caused problems. Deleted it and cold-roboot ... no help.
  • I did try to hook up a professional mic via 3.5mm direct in [no go without a preamp].
  • Sys Prefs > Sound > Output & Input correctly configured.
  • However, the microphone does work -- it displaces the Input indicators; and I sent myself a voicemail via computer confirming that sound is, indeed, making its way from the microphone into the computer.

What's missing in all this is my being able to hear myself though the headset.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 22, 2014 7:03 PM

12 replies

Jul 23, 2014 1:09 AM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua—

I removed Soundflower. In learning how to do that, I saw an association of it and Audio Hijack Pro ... a program on my computer. So, I opened it and — here's the weird thing which I hope might be a clue toward resolution — when I activate Hijack Pro, I can hear myself in the headset. [see pic below] PROBLEM: it sounds a bit like an echo chamber.

Does this info lead to further suggestions. Many thanks.

User uploaded file

Jul 29, 2014 9:12 AM in response to Obenreizer

UPDATE: LineIn a no-go

It was recommended that I try a software fix: LineIn (freeware program Rogue Software). The software does allow the mic audio to be routed through the headset… UNFORTUNATELY, it does so with a severe echo (delay). My goal, of course, is to get the headset to play as it originally did: good quality mic sound, played thru the headset.

Aug 1, 2014 2:44 PM in response to Obenreizer

UPDATE. Earlier, I narrowed the problem down to a Logitech—Mac interface problem (i.e., problem not caused by 3rd party software). Now, I have narrowed it to a Mac problem. How? I borrowed a Rosetta Stone USB headset/mic, and guess what: same problem as with the Logitech headset/mic. So, that's two working headsets on two different Macs (one of those being brand new), and the same problem. The only common denominator: MAC's fault.

In light of that, if anyone has a Mac fix for this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping some wizard-of-smart will have a TERMINAL line of code, so some other non-obvious fix.

For someone just joining who doesn't want to read the previous notes, all System>Sound and Midi Audio Devices are set correctly. The only suspicious thing there is that the "Thru" selection boxes on the Midi Audio Devices are greyed out. (Thinking out loud, "Man, if I could just check the Thru button, I'll bet the sound just might pay "thru" the headset. Hmmmmm. LOL)

Thanks in advance

Aug 1, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Obenreizer

DISCUSSION WITH APPLECARE

I was just on the phone with AppleCare for 1 hr and 3 min; up to the AppleCare senior Advisor level. I clarified with them several times what I am about to tell you now, informing the advisors that I planned to report what they said to this board.

In short, Apple outright stated, as far as they can tell, that a Mac is NOT equipped to allow a Logitech wireless/bluetooth headset nor a direct-USD Rosetta Stone headset to play a mic through the headset. (Their marketing department should love that one.)

I made the remark that the Logitech H800 headset did, in fact, play through the headset for a day! —but never after I rebooted after that first time. I was continuously nudged, of course, to the idea that is was the headsets fault, but the fact that the Mac did play “thru” once-upon-a-time somewhat nullifies that argument. Also, the headsets do NOT require their own software, which eliminates “driver-type” issues. (I will give AppleCare credit in that they didn’t waste an hour having me re-preform all the obvious ‘System > Volume’ and ‘Midi Audio Device’ gyrations; and they did, with only a little prodding, move the case up the support ladder.)

I told the advisors that the 3rd party program “LineIn.app” DOES allow the mic to play thru the headset, but it does so with an echo. And speaking of play thru, I pointed out the fact that the MIDI controls do come with a “Thru” option, but that the option is grayed-out, seems like the culprit. My suspicion is that if I could just click on the MIDI ‘thru’ button, the mac would do for itself what LineIn.app tries to accomplish. I'm sure the "thru" option was not placed there for good looks.

Here’s where it stands. I have a case number, and AppleCare is checking with their hackers to see if some (my words, no theirs) switch has been changed from TRUE to FALSE, or from ON to OFF somewhere in the software preferences. And the electronic switch has caused the "Thru" option to become grayed.

For those of you interested, I will advise on how things develop from here.

Aug 2, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Obenreizer

I'm interested at least. 🙂

Might have a look at this file...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist

Then there's a few more like this...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.MIDI.0016cb48ad5a.plist

Did we try this?

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Aug 2, 2014 1:15 PM in response to BDAqua

Tried DBAqua Suggestions (previous reply)

Those ideas did not work, but thank you for your effort. Here's my report:

• Open new Admin User "headphone"
  • Deleted the 1st .plist file you mention (the second one did not exist)
  • Restarted computer
  • Result: nothing changed: everything works EXCEPT mic-thru-headset. The 'MIDI device thru' box still grayed-out; and Prefs>Sound shows all is connected correctly.

Will advise if and when I hear from AppleCare. Until then, all suggestions welcome.

Mar 26, 2015 10:20 PM in response to Obenreizer

I had the same issue, and I just fixed the problem!!! I couldnt find it anywhere in the web, but i was messing with the configurations of the headset in audio midi set up and I found that if you change the "format" from 1600.00 Hz to higher options, it will work like a charm!!!

I hope this helps and saves time to anybody reading this!!! (i was about to return my headset to best buy before finding the solution, because I couldn't use the headset with Rosetta Stone)

questions? reply to this and I'll receive an email 😉

You're welcome "Apple Care support team" !!! 😝 🙂

User uploaded file

USB Headset: Gets sound from Computer (eg. iTunes), but not from Microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.