Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini issue with Internet Recovery

I recently got my hands on a Mac Mini (Mid 2010) and it turned out that it was missing it's HDD. So I had a spare new HDD handy and I installed it and then tried everything to install an OS but to no avail. Then I got into contact with Apple Chat and he was very helpful. Since I didn't have the Original Discs that come with this Mac Mini, he suggested we try Internet Recovery. He walked me through it and waited until it would load up but it never did.

I tried several times to install the OS via Internet Recovery but I just can't seem to trigger the Spinning Globe, I get the Flashing Globe instead. I already formatted the HDD on my Macbook Pro via Disk Utility with an external enclosure using the option Mac Extended Journal. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Here is some info regarding my situation:

Mac Mini Mid 2010

No HDD/No OS (Installed a new HDD + Formatted correctly)

2GB Ram

I have a Wireless Keyboard (Official Apple) but I can't use it because it hasn't been synced yet, I'm using a wired PC keyboard

Internet access (I plug a Ethernet cable to the back of the Mac Mini)

HDD - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M8 ST1000LM024(HN-M101MBB) 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive

The HDD I installed is 1TB. Can that be the problem?

Mac mini

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 4:24 AM

31 replies

Jul 23, 2014 4:59 AM in response to AZ_Com_4

If it is one of the newer keyboards, I would also suggest trying Command+Windows+R.

Can you determine what version of firmware do you currently have?

You can build a full OS on an external USB drive but it requires at least an 8G flash drive. If you have an external HD, it can be used to build a copy of the OS on the external drive and the Mini can be booted externally.

Jul 23, 2014 5:19 AM in response to Loner T

I think it is one of the newer keyboards since it has the Windows logo key. I'll try Command+Windows+R. As for the firmware, I don't know how to find that out unless I can see it in the system profiler. But the Apple rep said that my Mac Mini was already set and I can go ahead and boot up the Internet Recovery feature.

As for an external USB drive, I have both USB drives and an external HDD (1TB). How would I build a full OS on the drive?

By the way, I appreciate all the advice and help you're giving me. Thank you.

Jul 23, 2014 5:38 AM in response to AZ_Com_4

If you have another MAC, it is easier, otherwise Windows will work as well. For Macs see this link - Creating a bootable OS X installer in OS X Mavericks

Another option is to boot the Mini in target disk mode and use a second mac to look at it's hard drive and install an OS using OS X Lion: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode. This works for newer macs if you only have Thunderbolt ports and have a TB-to-Firewire adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapte r?fnode=51).

Jul 23, 2014 7:58 AM in response to AZ_Com_4

No. Connect the EHD via USB to the working Mac. Once the EHD shows up, in Disk Utility create a 16GB partition as MAC OS X Extended (Journaled). Create the bootable OSX installation in this partition. Disconnect from the working Mac, and plug it into the Mini. Power-up the mini and using a USB keyboard, hold the ALT key and boot from the USB boot partition. You will need a monitor as well.

Mid 2010 Mac Mini issue with Internet Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.