Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is it possible to upload without using itunes?

...is it possible to copy/drag etc. items from p.c. folders into a new ipod classic 160 ?

...and will i need to format the music, if this is possible?

...as with any person, i'm sure, i want to maximize my ipod's space without compromising much of the sound quality (although i'm expecting a slight bit if reformatting)..

iPod classic, Windows 7, 160GB w/usb

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 8:05 AM

sawblades wrote:

...is it possible to copy/drag etc. items from p.c. folders into a new ipod classic 160 ?

Yes, files can be dragged if you enable 'disk mode' in iTunes but not if you hope to play the music on the iPod!

sawblades wrote:

That depends on the formats of the files. You should look at the iPod supported formats…

https://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html

iPod: About compatible song formats (this seems a little old).

sawblades wrote:

...as with any person, i'm sure, i want to maximize my ipod's space without compromising much of the sound quality (although i'm expecting a slight bit if reformatting)..

Just use iTunes.

It will allow you to play many file formats and you can use it to convert into 'iPod compatible' formats.

iTunes can automatically convert to smaller files for the iPod if you have large files.

It will also allow you to change settings on the iPod and perform iPod software updates, manage podcasts, manage video, use the app store…

If you don't use iTunes you will need to find an app that can sync files onto the iPod - just copying files on is not enough. The iPod uses a database to manage the songs & associated cover artwork etc.

You could use an app like Banshee, but what is the point of choosing an unsupported app over one that is intended for the device you own.

http://banshee.fm/about/features/

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2014 8:05 AM in response to sawblades

sawblades wrote:

Yes, files can be dragged if you enable 'disk mode' in iTunes but not if you hope to play the music on the iPod!

sawblades wrote:

That depends on the formats of the files. You should look at the iPod supported formats…

https://www.apple.com/ipodclassic/specs.html

iPod: About compatible song formats (this seems a little old).

sawblades wrote:

Just use iTunes.

It will allow you to play many file formats and you can use it to convert into 'iPod compatible' formats.

iTunes can automatically convert to smaller files for the iPod if you have large files.

It will also allow you to change settings on the iPod and perform iPod software updates, manage podcasts, manage video, use the app store…

If you don't use iTunes you will need to find an app that can sync files onto the iPod - just copying files on is not enough. The iPod uses a database to manage the songs & associated cover artwork etc.

You could use an app like Banshee, but what is the point of choosing an unsupported app over one that is intended for the device you own.

http://banshee.fm/about/features/

Jul 23, 2014 8:38 AM in response to sawblades

..thanks Drew.. and makes perfect sense, i just needed to confirm stories..

...and to max. storage, (as per old ipod) what would be best; check convert box and choose lower bitrate (as it says AAC beside {note;i was told to take p.c music and convert to AAC when uploading into itunes}) or leave unchecked.. or is there an even better way?

..also under peferences, which is best for storage/sound (sounds contradicting-good sound may sacrifice storage);

-lower bits/ audio? (16 or 24)

-lower bitrate playback (varous khz) ?

...i know this may seem like menial questions, as i've a 160gb, but i've a mass catalog and would like to be sure i can utilize this costly purchase as best as i can..

Jul 23, 2014 9:18 AM in response to sawblades

Do you have all your music in iTunes?

In its 'View menu' select 'Show status bar'. It appears at the bottom of the iTunes window.

Now select your music library & iTunes will tell you how many songs & how many GB's of music you have (the same is true for Podcasts and other sections etc).

Click the status bar to see other statistics.

Once you know how much music you have you can see if it will all fit onto the iPod. Then you can consider making smaller versions for the iPod. It is pointless to consider this until you know if it already fits on the iPod. Making iTunes convert to smaller versions will also use more disk space on the PC (it stores the compressed version for the next sync), so bear that in mind. The initial copy will take a long time too since many files may need to be converted.

As for the quality settings you must simply make some versions of your favourite songs at multiple settings & compare them. Sound quality is entirely subjective - what sounds good to you may sound bad to me. Use the default iTunes store settings as a guide…

iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (256 kbps AAC, 44.1KHz).

is it possible to upload without using itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.