Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I share a drive over wireless?

I recently read an article on CNet that showed how to share a drive over wireless...on Windows. I have a Macintosh and Airport Express 2g router. Is it possible to share a drive over the USB port in the Airport express to other Mac or iOS devices? For reference, I have linked to the CNet Windows sharing article below. They didn't give any Apple instructions, so I am asking here. Thanks in advance!

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/share-an-external-hard-drive-over-a-wi-fi-network/

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 10:54 AM

Unfortunately, the USB port on an AirPort Express does not support a hard drive.......it only supports compatible printers.

8 replies

Jul 23, 2014 6:56 PM in response to rhenerlau

Apple does things their own way.. there is articles by apple for apple.

AirPort: How to mount an AirPort Extreme USB hard disk volume in Mac OS X and Windows

The instructions can be used in either Extreme or TC for the internal disk.. the method is pretty much the same.

I would say the instructions in that article are exceedingly simplified as hardly any router uses the same method as any other router.. you definitely need to spend some time reading the manual. And even then getting things working is often an exercise in frustration. As a warning USB is slow when you use a router.. until very recent improvements.. you will seldom find this worthwhile.

Jul 24, 2014 12:49 PM in response to rhenerlau

You can share files.. with the following notes..

Sometimes what you can do is not what you should do.

Store files on the TC.

This is asked several times a day.. obviously people are struggling with their latest SSD being too small.

The TC is not suitable for network file server.. but many people having no choice press it into service as such.

Major issues.

1. No backup.. no way Time Machine can backup a network drive. No place to backup to.. So all your files will be at risk on the TC. And you will need to buy a third party like CCC to do backup.

2. The TC cannot be partitioned and mixing TM backups and data is not great. It was and is and ever shall be a backup device for Time Machine.

3. The drive is slow to spin up and quick to spin down.. there is no control. In fact the TC is so lacking in controls for even the router side.. that you cannot do more than the most basic of setups.

The following are controls on the hard disk side.

Reformat it. You can name the share. You can do a full archive of the whole disk. This will go at a speed of aprox. 30-50GB/Hr so calculate how long an archive of a full 2TB will take.

4. iPhoto in particular can easily corrupt its entire library with wireless networking causing a disconnection to one photo. Even if you do this;;; do not move your photo library... you have been warned!!

Even apple btw say don’t do it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168 Although mostly about FAT32 it adds network drives.

5. iTunes can constantly lose connection to the library. The disk is slow to respond.. itunes on the computer will constantly spit out errors. Even in the midst of streaming the TC can spin down the disk due to caching.

6. Do not use any live files on the TC no matter what else you do.. if you edit files in whatever program the file must be on the local hard disk.

7. The only suitable location for most libraries is a computer. You can plug in an external hard disk.

Read pondini for some work arounds.

Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

How do I share a drive over wireless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.