Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie error message "The operation could not be completed"

I am trying to create a new movie and got this error message " The operation could not be completed" after selecting the Themes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 4:22 AM

I had the same problem. I created a new event, and then created the new movie with that event when it asks for the name and event for the new movie. It worked. I hope this helps.

5 replies

Mar 31, 2015 6:34 PM in response to ktt858

My problem was because I had moved my Movies folder from the system drive (which is an SSD) over to another drive with a larger capacity. I then created an Alias in my home folder. Turns out this is what was causing the problem. I shoulda known. Some apps absolutely hate this. iMovie, being the dumbed down garbage that it is, simply MUST have it's library in a certain folder, apparently. Would be nice if we had a choice about it.

I find Premiere Elements is actually the better (and friendlier) program. However in this case, I had to slum it with iMovie due to the Quicktime file I was working with.

Aug 5, 2015 6:01 PM in response to ktt858

Hey, figured out an easy fix to this problem.

All you need to do is have an event available that the project can pull clips from. So, first, you need to create an event.

Pesky, though, because you can only create an event when you have clicked on "iMovie Libraries" in the left hand bar. Give that button a right click and you will see "New Event" a now viable option. Once you create an event, you should be able to add a project to that event.

Hope this helps! I didn't see anyone with this answer on the internet.

User uploaded file

iMovie error message "The operation could not be completed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.