Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages shuts down after inactivity

Hi,

For some reason on my new MacBook Pro, even if I have it plugged in and set to stay awake completely, but have the display set to sleep, for some reason if I'm gone for a long time, Messages disconnects. Once I wake the display, Messages reconnects automatically, but like I said...I don't have the machine set to sleep. Only the display. How can I fix this? Any ideas?

Thanks (in advance)...

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 11:17 PM

5 replies

Jul 24, 2014 12:56 PM in response to Syrcle

Hi,

Can you explain which windows you have open in Messages and which of those are indicating that you were Off Line.

Messages with AIM and Jabber accounts wand displaying those Buddy lists will make the Status or yourself "Idle" after 10 minutes (the default idle time)

Then depending on your Filter settings for Displaying your Buddy Lists (Availability being one) AND how many AIM Account you might have logged in they will then bounce up your List turning from Amber (Idle) to Green (Available)

I have 5 AIM valid Screen Names logged in.

I display each in separate Buddy Lists.

On Buddy list has the other 4 as Buddies.

They all can go Amber if I walk away from the computer (If even have th Screen Not to Sleep as well).

User uploaded file

Being Idle is not being Off line.

User uploaded file

8:56 pm Thursday; July 24, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages shuts down after inactivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.