Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 3,1 early 2008 CPU Upgrade Question

I'm using an Early 2008 Mac Pro with a single CPU configuration (2.8Ghz, 4 Cores) and I just tried to upgrade it with two 3.4Ghz Xeon X5492 SLBBD, finding out, that they dont work in my 2008 Mac Pro.

The Question is: will two Xeon X5482 SLANZ 3.2Ghz C0 work in my mac pro 3,1 from early 2008?

... or is there any possibility to persuade my old mac runnig with the two 3.4Ghz CPUs i bought first?

Thanks!

Erich 🙂

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 2:56 AM

8 replies

Mar 17, 2016 6:03 AM in response to Nagus

I know that this post is quite old already however, I am hoping to find out if there are 2 different 'versions' of the Xeon x5482 3.2Ghz processor. I purchased a matching pair and they were advertised as 'Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz SLBBG Quad-Core'. Both are identical.

The 2.8Ghz that I pulled out, had the phrase 'SLANT' stamped on the processors, the replacements do not. I tried to compare other listings for the x5482 and some seller's reference the phrase 'SLANZ' yet I don't seem to see it stamped on the processor.

I did install these proc's and my MAC will not power on.

I also found E5482 Xeon processors and those have the phrase 'SLANZ' stamped on them......did I buy the wrong proc's for my upgrade?

Dec 1, 2014 8:09 AM in response to Nagus

Do you mind sharing the full details of your 3,2Ghz Xeons Nagus?

I've just hit the same problem! Originally bought a couple 3.2GHZ, X5482s but they got lost in the post! So, got a couple 3.4GHz, X5492s from the same guy, dropped them in with some Arctic Silver and the MAC won't boot. Called Jigsaw who said that MACs are weird with certain apparently interchangeable parts and just aren't compatible. Apparently, there wasn't a board change until 2009 so, apart from the power jump, I don't get it! PSU rates at about 900W I think.

Nagus just managed to swap out for the 3.2GHz, X5482s when they're also not supposed to be compatible and are also rated at 150W just like the 3.4GHz. Anyone know why? Only thing I can think of is the EFI but I'm more used to PCs and a bit of a MAC noob to be honest!

😐

Mac Pro 3,1 early 2008 CPU Upgrade Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.