Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old podcasts completely deleted from system with no ability to recover them

Actually, this isn't really a question, so much as a comment and a very upsetting situation I've found myself in. I updated my iTunes and the next thing I know, all of my old podcasts were completely wiped off of my computer. I had some very rare interviews....all gone now. Anytime a program is going to have a major change like that, there should be some sort of warning. I am deeply upset by this because some of these podcasts are no longer available which means that these interviews are gone. I will never be able to hear them again.

Thank you iTunes.

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 7:06 AM

10 replies

Jul 24, 2014 6:30 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your reply. I had already figured out this solution for saving future podcasts, but there is still no answer for how to retrieve podcasts that Apple deleted from my computer. They seem to be gone forever. I am furious with Apple for doing this. The other big annoyance with this solution for future podcasts is that I have to reset the default setting for EACH individual podcast. If you subscribe to many different ones, as I do, resetting each and every one takes time. WHY DID APPLE THINK WE WOULD WANT THIS?

Jul 24, 2014 6:54 PM in response to Ninja-neko

I was going to link directly to one of my earlier posts like this, but I've added in just a little more information...

I'm fairly sure the reason for this is a due to a mismatch between options to Keep all episodes in iTunes and Keep all unplayed or some similar option on your device when the new option (introduced in iTunes 11.1) to Sync podcast subscriptions, settings and stations has been enabled. I lost all played episodes of all podcast series that I synced to my devices. 😠

Series that weren't synced were left untouched. iTunes still recorded both my default option and series specific options to Keep all episodes. iTunes doesn't manage my media folders. The deleted episodes were not sent to the recycle bin. Some people have said they found some episodes there so check.

Here is the recovery process, assuming you have a backup of the deleted files...

1. Restore copies of all the deleted podcasts to the Podcasts folders from your backup.

2. Rename the current .itl file with the suffix (BAD), then move it into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder.

3. Restore a copy of the pre-upgrade library from your backup or the Previous iTunes Libraries folder.

4. If necessary, remove the trailing date from the library file restored in step 3.

5. Start iTunes, go to the Podcasts section.

6. Uncheck the option to Sync podcast subscriptions, settings and stations then click Continue. This should prevent a repeat of the deletions.

User uploaded file

If the above screen doesn't show go to Edit >Preferences > Store and uncheck Sync podcast subscriptions, settings and stations.

7. On your devices you may also want to change the Episodes to keep to All in Settings > Podcasts and then again with the settings for each subscription in the app.

8. If, like me, you updated a whole bunch of apps before realizing there was a problem, you may find the restored library has multiple broken links to any apps that you updated. Use File > Add Folder to Library and select your Mobile Applications folder. Accept the offer to replace older versions with the files you are adding. iTunes may prompt that certain files cannot be updated because it can't find the file to add. Keep a note of these as it looks like this happens when both the old & new versions would be given the same file name and iTunes unhelpfully erases the file that it is supposed to add. You can delete any remaining broken entries, close iTunes, then reopen and download from iTunes Store > Purchased > Apps > Not on this computer.

If you don't have the episodes to restore then at least visit iTunes > Preferences > Store and Uncheck the option to Sync podcast subscriptions, settings and stations before attempting to redownload any older episodes.

If you've lost episodes that cannot be redownloaded, and you've not done too much with the drive since, then an undelete tool might recover most of them. FreeRecover looks promising, Select the drive, use the options to get file paths and check file integrity, then, presumably, you can restore anything that has been deleted from the podcasts folder that has a good integrity score. The free version of Recuva might also work.

tt2

Jul 25, 2014 12:24 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2 covered things pretty well, but I remain frankly astonished that Apple released a software update with an option, selected as default, that would for many people (except people who keep all their podcast episodes synced across all devices – I don't know a single person who does this, but I presume they must exist) delete their data with no easy way to recover it. That is a Grade-A no-no.

I know Apple's trend is to move towards users keeping virtually nothing on their system, and downloading everything as required, but you can count me out. Things get deleted, copyright owners change, companies go bankrupt. I want my own copies, as I always have done.

Aug 1, 2014 9:22 AM in response to turingtest2

I also appreciate your reply. Also I figured out how to change it so that it doesn't happen in the future. But as was mentioned before, it doesn't solve the recovery of the podcasts that were deleted. Some were from old shows that have since been removed from iTunes and are no longer available anywhere. My reason for posting, was not to get advice, so much as to tell Apple that this is not okay for me.

Apr 5, 2015 8:52 PM in response to moongate

I have been through a similar misfortune and I am very angry about this. Upon moving my iTunes library to a new PC I found that my library size was alarmingly smaller than what I remembered. By roughly a terabyte smaller. Upon closer inspection I found that iTunes, after any update (or at least major updates, can't be more accurate) iTunes resets my preferences (changing things like encoding from high bit-rate mp3 to AAC) WITHOUT my knowledge. Most important is that it changes podcast settings to Delete Automatically 24 hours After Listening. I actually knew about this "feature" and would always go in and change it after every update. But I must have missed at least one, or, as I suspect, the settings don't "stick" so that even after I change it iTunes changed back.

Consequently I have lost a good decades' worth of podcasts. I am through with iTunes and through with Apple. I plan to find another podcast/music manager and will try to rebuild my library, but as moongate stated, much of it is just gone forever.

TT2: I did submit to the Feedback. I feel that at a corporate level Apple does not care about podcasts and that audience because they don't make money from it. I will be curious to see if I get anything other than a canned response. Further, if anyone has submitted to the Bug Reporter I would love to hear how that went.

Erik

Old podcasts completely deleted from system with no ability to recover them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.