Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an external graphics card over Thunderbolt?

Could anyone please tell me if I can use a graphics card with a Mac Pro 2013 over Thunderbolt using an expansion chassis? I have read that OS X doesn't support graphics cards over thunderbolt, however I've also read things that indicate it is possible.

I'm thinking of the using NVIDIA K5000 for Mac with aMagma Thunderbold to PCIe Expansion Chassis. Any help or advice appreciated. Thank you:)

Mac Pro, iOS 1.x

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 11:20 AM

3 replies

Jul 24, 2014 2:06 PM in response to Meisha Bendigo

something about intel not approving external GPUs the very high cost, lack of PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.

People had hoped to have something so they can drive some CUDA enabled Quadro or GTX cards now that we are stuck with AMD but doesn't seem likely.

Another one of the reasons that after the 6,1 came out, the 5,1 2012 actually looked better, dual GTX, dual 6-core, cheaper 128GB RAM (for those that need it).

Netkas.org MacRumors forum and www.macperformanceguide.com are good place to check out.

Jul 24, 2014 8:46 PM in response to Meisha Bendigo

Here is an article about Drivers that do just what you described, but for the NVIDIA 4000.

http://mediapros.co.uk/portfolio-view/thunderbolterizer/

An important deficiency remains. You don't get near a 16x slot worth of bandwidth, so transfers to/from the card may be slow. But if you want this for GPU computation, it may be workable (if expensive).

Can I use an external graphics card over Thunderbolt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.