Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

redirect backup folder of IOS devices in dual drive setup

Hi All,

just added a new SSD drive to my Macbook Pro and use my old HDD in the 2nd bay.

Did not touch the old HDD and still have my files in it: Music, Pics, etc. I will be deleting the Applications/Programs in it as soon as I know everything is up and running.

I was able to redirect iTunes Music Library to the HDD, but I can't figure out how to do it for MobileSync/Backups. Tried plugging in the iPhone and started backing up. It created a file on the SSD not on the HDD.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

iPhone 5

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 12:17 PM

6 replies

Jul 24, 2014 12:39 PM in response to goknicks

Relocate iOS device backups

1. Make a new folder called MobileSync at the root of the drive you want the backup data to live on, e.g. as D:\MobileSync
  2. Use Windows Explorer to move current Backup folder at <SystemDrive>\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup into the folder you just made. If the backup folder is large this may take some time.
  3. To make iTunes look for the data in the new location copy the text below, open a command prompt, right-click to paste in the command, edit the drive letter if needed, and then press <Enter>.
    MkLink /J "%AppData%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\MobileSync\Backup"

If you want the backup elsewhere replace D:\MobileSync accordingly.

Note that while this method works for iOS device backups it cannot be used to redirect sections of the media library.

Did you move the entire iTunes folder or change the location of the media folder? See Make a split library portable for background.

tt2

Jul 24, 2014 2:12 PM in response to goknicks

Did you get a specific error message when doing the commands, and if so, what were they exactly? Does one of you drives have a name with a space in it? If it does you have to tackle that situation with a specific procedure. You have to read that whole thread to see what problems others have had and the solutions.

Jul 24, 2014 2:22 PM in response to Limnos

no error just says file exists

my steps:

1. backed up the phone - goes to SSD-->User-->Application Support-->MobileSync-->Backup

2. copied that backup folder to the HDD in User-->Application Support-->MobileSync

3. Delete the Backup folder in SSD

3. Open up Terminal and type command: ln -s /Volumes/MyHDDnamewhereIwantittogo/MobileSync/Backup/ ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup

redirect backup folder of IOS devices in dual drive setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.