Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maverick Wi-Fi keeps dropping!

iMac Version 10.9.4

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Worked perfectly fine before update to Mavericks, I've never had any problems with my iMac before this.

---------------------

Hello, I recently upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.4.. Ever since, I've been having tremendously annoying problems with my Wifi continuously dropping no matter what I'm doing, browsing or not. I've Google'd the problem, only to find out multiple people are experiencing the same exact issue, yet, Apple is not addressing the problem properly.

There seemed to be a variety of troubleshooting solutions to choose from, so I tried each of them. Unfortunately, none of them worked for me. I'm desperate at this point, and I really don't want to rollback my system.

I've tried nearly everything in the below link, with no success (I don't use iCloud and I can't disable Bluetooth because of my magic mouse and keyboard)

How-to Fix OS X 10.9 Mavericks – Wi-Fi Issues – How-To Apple

(My Wifi is WPA2 Personal protected if that matters)

My mother's iMac isn't updated, and it doesn't have problems with disconnecting (apparently hers still disconnects, but not nearly as often as mine - mines every 30 seconds or so, hers is rare, but it happens)

I've

-reset my PRAM/SMC

-Set service order in Network settings, renewed DHCP, deleted my network, changed locations, everything. Nothing in the Network settings helps whatsoever

-'Caffeinated' the terminal

-Turned off 'Wake for network access' in Energy Saver

-Deleted 'SystemConfiguration'

-Restarted/shutdown my computer multiple times

-Started in safe mode

Sometimes my Wifi will stay up for a good 5 minutes (very rare), but most of the time, it goes down every 15-30 seconds. Apple, honestly, what are you doing releasing something this unstable?

Sometimes when the wifi drops, it just disconnects from the network (i.e, I can scroll my mouse over the gray wifi logo, and it shows the networks [wifi is still "on" but not connected to my network]) and other times, the wifi shuts off completely (i.e, I scroll my mouse over the gray wifi logo, and it tells me to turn the wifi on).

I'm sooooo desperate, there's nothing that's working for me and having the wifi constantly drop is one of the most irritating things when you're constantly trying to do things on the internet.

Any solutions? Thank you!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Worked perfectly fine before Mave

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 12:54 PM

7 replies

Jul 30, 2014 12:18 AM in response to Elebits

I have had the exact same problem as described above. Tried all the solutions to no avail. It happened just after maverick upgrade and a new airport extreme. I found out that channel 1 in the 2.4 Ghz band was severely overcrowded at my home. I manually set the channel to 6 and all of my problems went away. This causes problems with Yosemite Beta 1 also. I also set the 5 Ghz band to 40. You can find these settings in the router/wifi/advanced page. This also fixed the slow wifi on my iPhone. Let me know if this helps anyone.

(yes, it makes no sense that Maverick seems responsible but it is the router that is supposed to select an uncrowded channel. I works like a charm for me.)

Aug 7, 2014 9:05 AM in response to kmagsman

Since installing mavericks, I am having the same issue. It's driving me mad. I am not a computer expert and this instability is ridiculous. I tried to speak to someone in Apple but because my machine is out of warranty it's pay up or shut up. My lenovo think pad rarely, if ever, drops the wifi connection. I have always been pro apple but this is crazy.

Aug 29, 2015 3:33 PM in response to Elebits

I am STILL having this issue and haven't found a solution. No upgrade — always had Mavericks on my Macbook Air 2014.

It takes a long time to reconnect to Wifi after waking up, and keeps bouncing off my network or joining my neighbor's. I usually turn Wifi off/on and this temporarily relieves the problem, but uploading stuff is dangerous with this happening. At best it will be incredibly slow uploading, at worst it will freeze or cause an upload error. ANY help on this, anyone? I see Apple hasn't responded to the earlier posts on this subject..

Aug 30, 2015 9:51 AM in response to julialand

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Maverick Wi-Fi keeps dropping!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.