Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insect inside my LCD screen

A tiny insect has crawled in between the LCD panel and the backlight of my 27" iMac and died. Close inspection reveals that it is behind the LCD characters. I called Apple support, and they were sympathetic, but said I had to go to the local store. The local store told me it was not their fault I had a bug in my iMac, and in fact, this "infestation" (his words) would probably void the warranty on my 6 month old iMac.

My iMac sits on the desk in my office. My office is not "infested" with bugs. But Apple's LCD screen is not sufficiently sealed to dust and other contaminants so it will prevent a tiny insect from being attracted to the light and crawling inside of it. I am very disappointed in their response.

Does anyone know if there is any recourse to the local Apple store? The woman at MY-APPLE assumed it would be a warranty repair. It seems to me that the LCD component should be sufficiently sealed to prevent bugs from crawling into it. And I live in Southern California, not Northern Michigan.

Does anyone know if I am likely to be able to disassemble the screen and clean it myself?

See for yourself. The bug is next to 14 point Arial in TextEdit:

www.bmumford.com/tmp/Bug.jpg

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 6:15 AM

I took my iMac to several different Apple stores in the area, as well as a Mac-authorized repair shop. The repair place said they couldn't do it, it was something that Apple had to do, but it made an interesting story.

Finally got a Genius Bar reservation and this turns out to be the most expensive spider ever - over $700 to fix, with a 3-8 day wait to fix it (the guy said that it depended on if the support technician was an arachnophobe or not...which should not be a factor in computer repair). Granted, my computer is out of warranty, but I'm a bit upset by this. I've taken care of my computer and my environment. My computer has not been located in some shed that exposed to the elements, it's my primary computer that I care for and use on a daily basis, and one spider happened to get in there - in a place that every single person I talked to (including all the Apple techs) responded with incredulous stares and "how did that even happen?!"

It definitely ***** but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it. I agree with the previous poster's response that it's kind of an "act of God" but if the display is tightly sealed and difficult to remove as Apple claims, then it should be nigh near impossible for anything to get in there in the first place.

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Jim Stewart1

I took my iMac to several different Apple stores in the area, as well as a Mac-authorized repair shop. The repair place said they couldn't do it, it was something that Apple had to do, but it made an interesting story.

Finally got a Genius Bar reservation and this turns out to be the most expensive spider ever - over $700 to fix, with a 3-8 day wait to fix it (the guy said that it depended on if the support technician was an arachnophobe or not...which should not be a factor in computer repair). Granted, my computer is out of warranty, but I'm a bit upset by this. I've taken care of my computer and my environment. My computer has not been located in some shed that exposed to the elements, it's my primary computer that I care for and use on a daily basis, and one spider happened to get in there - in a place that every single person I talked to (including all the Apple techs) responded with incredulous stares and "how did that even happen?!"

It definitely ***** but I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it. I agree with the previous poster's response that it's kind of an "act of God" but if the display is tightly sealed and difficult to remove as Apple claims, then it should be nigh near impossible for anything to get in there in the first place.

May 14, 2015 4:49 PM in response to DCJ1

Then you have the same problem I do, which is that the bug is not just under the cover glass, it's INSIDE the LCD screen unit. It's behind the LCD panel and in front of the backlight. Apple would not fix mine. They claimed my office must be "infested" with bugs. As far as I'm concerned, an LCD module is supposed to be sealed, and if a bug gets in, it ain't sealed. And my office doesn't have bugs (except in the Apple screen).

Feb 26, 2017 4:42 PM in response to Bryan Mumford

I have now also two small insects (smaller than an ant) in my 27" screen (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and I do believe that this is only possible due to a manufacturing mistake from Apple. This is the first time that I'm having an issue now as all other problems with Apple devices in the past where generously handled by Apple. Due to the fact that we haven't got an Apple store in New Zealand I don't know who can help me now without spending >$1000 for a problem I haven't caused should be really warranty although the machine is over two years old now).

Feb 27, 2017 1:58 AM in response to Christian NZ

If Apple were to install tiny refreshment stands and proper signage to

show Exits, there may be hope for those lost stragglers who enter in.

And so many prefer to sit too close to the large screen; it's so hard on eyes.

Also desert-like conditions with 'santa anna winds' (scirocco) are terrible

for the tiny travelers; their bug guide is irresponsible with 'alternative facts.'

Perhaps they need to offer a tiny App ~ or install a scented road map... ! ? 😝

Jun 21, 2017 3:41 PM in response to Bryan Mumford

Well, I googled this because my bug just appeared just now and I find it to be highly odd. What is even stranger is that when I take a screenshot of it, it does NOT appear. But it is clearly a gnat of sorts....I too have apple care and intend to have this bug eradicated.....I agree that a bug should not be able to crawl inside the imac display. I have been using imacs for many many years and have never seen this....so weird....

Aug 4, 2017 6:15 AM in response to Bryan Mumford

I purchased a MacBook pro 15 inch with touchbar at the end of last year have been speaking to apple genius bar and support all day and on the phone for 3 hours and no one is taking it seriously that the is some sort of creature/insect/bug inside of the screen moving around despite me showing multiple videos and them seeing it in person when I took it to my local store today. I feel that the product should be replaced completely following prior issues and as speaking to a genius it seems that it could have only got inside through production of the machine. Really disappointing that this issue is just being shrugged off with there being nothing in place for this type of thing. Repairing the computer and the checks previously done are not even highlighting the issues I've had

Sep 20, 2017 3:58 PM in response to trivikramaraov

Suction doesn't seem to work. Calling apple care doesn't seem to work. So all I can offer is my own story and support for you. I found a tiny spider wandering around, and this is the first time I have had this in having iMacs for ten years.

All I can say it that I contacted apple support, they sent me to a local reseller, as Eugene has no apple store. I was quoted a price of around$400 to replace the screen.

For a three year old computer that isn't going to happen. I do think this is a design flaw. Kind of beside myself as the spider is still alive and wanders around.

I will try some kind of a vacuum, and then run final cut pro for an hour at high speed, hoping the heat and fans might get it to leave.

Apple is great, except when it isn't.

Hugh M., Eugene Oregon

Sept 20, 2017

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Jul 24, 2014 3:54 PM in response to Kappy

MY-APPLE connected me to the local store, who said they'd have to see it, but his view was that they were not responsible for it. So I have not made the trek downtown with the big machine yet. It will be a substantial inconvenience, and he has already told me that he will not accept responsibility if it is as I described it.

I doubt that the bug came in around the glass bezel. I expect it entered through a data port or air vent.

Jul 24, 2014 4:04 PM in response to Bryan Mumford

To tell you how difficult it is to remove the glass it woudl be helpful if you told us the exact year of your iMac. If it's a 2012 or 2013 27" removing the glass is difficult and should only be attempted by a trained technician. If it's any other year iMac the glass can easily be removed with suction cups as it's only held in by magnets.

However to be honest I fail to see how this would possibly be Apple's problem, I would catagorize it as an act of God. In my opinion it's in the same relm as expecting Apple to pay for repair of a computer that was affected by a lightning strike. If they did decide to fix it at their expense it would purely be as a customer service gesture and you should be thankful rather than expectant.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Insect inside my LCD screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.