Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a fix date for Mavericks mail not being able to get new mail from IMAP servers, like Gmail?

Is there a fix date for Mavericks mail not being able to get new mail from IMAP servers, like Gmail?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 24, 2014 2:53 PM

15 replies

Jul 24, 2014 4:26 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you all, but I'm still stuck. I ran the combo updater again (using Kappy's link) with no effect. The problem I'm having is completely addressed in OS X: New email messages not received until Mail is quit and reopened. I can't believe that I have to follow those instructions to get new mail in real time, and was hoping somebody new when Apple was going to fix it.

What happens is that a new e-mail messages arrives at the IMAP server but Apple Mail won't pick it up off the server until I quit mail and relaunch. The new e-mail message is visible on the server using Horde or Squirrel, but it just won't get picked up by Apple Mail unless I restart (or follow the instruction in the link above). I was hoping somebody new when Apple would be fixing this.

Thanks

Jul 25, 2014 8:16 AM in response to etresoft

Actually the point for me is that we did NOT have this problem in previous versions of OS X (none of the big cats have this problem), so it looks and smells like a bug. Apple Mail in Mavericks will not work for my SOHO needs until the "bug" is fixed. I was hoping for news of an eminent fix.

Also it should not hard to debug the software, I can watch the activity monitor and can log the stream at our router. It looks like Apple Mail is identifying the correct number of messages-- it just won't update the inbox with the new ones.

Thanks all for the interaction and suggestions, but let's end this thread.

Jul 25, 2014 9:32 AM in response to ccninc

If there is an imminent fix, you could find out by joining the Yosemite Public Beta.

Unfortunately, you may be dealing with more than one problem. I'm certainly no fan of Mavericks Mail. It has all kinds of bugs. But, if you wait long enough, and maybe pass the time by responding to e-mail on your iPad or iPhone, Mavericks will, eventually, check your mail. It may lock up afterwards. And you will likely have to force quit it. But there is no widespread bug where it won't check IMAP accounts. You cannot discount the possibility that there is something wrong on the server side.

But to get to my first point, none of the "big cats", nor Mavericks, will likely every see any more bug fixes. They are done. Now, or later, Yosemite is your only option if you want to stay with the Mac.

Jul 28, 2014 5:27 PM in response to ccninc

I feel that your real problem is related to the way apple does their mail client. It is related to the fact that mail does NOT disconnect from the server when checking imap mail. Thus it causes many imap processes to exist on the server. Many providers then kill the open processes after a time, thus causing the hangs to your system because it is trying to communicate with a process on the mail server that no longer exists. This problem has been around for about 7 years that I know about and apple refuses to fix it because it is so nested in their system. If apple mail would just disconnect from the server after checking for messages, etc and only use one connection to do so instead of 4, then the mail servers would be very happy and never kill an apple mail process, thus stopping the hanging and mail server overloads. (I have seen this from a tech support perspective in wondering why ONLY the mac mail readers would have issues and cause the mail server to be overloaded.)

Please let apple know in your beta testing to look at that part of what they are doing. It is a long standing issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.