Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i want to update my old imac osx 10.5.8

Hi, I haven't used my iMac for a few years, and now I'm starting to use it again and I realize I cant really do anything with it since the OSX is too old. I was wondering if I should buy the OSX Snow Leopard and just make updates by myself from that point on or wait for yosemite to come out and see if its a free update or if you have to buy it. i just need tips on what to do!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 25, 2014 8:44 AM

29 replies

Apr 9, 2017 2:03 AM in response to Reynadelasnieves

That's a partial description. Do you have a question? And you should quote the description of your Mac. Open Application/Utilities/system Information and quote the 'Model identifier' which would be a name and two numbers separated by a comma.

Incidentally it's better to start your own thread when you have a question rather than tack onto one which was last updated two years ago.

Jul 25, 2014 9:03 AM in response to danibaillargeon

Your Mac can run Snow Leopard, which is available from the Online Apple Store (using the search field for 'Snow Leopard' is the quickest way to find it). It's a worthwhile upgrade but it will not allow you to access iCloud.

You cannot upgrade to Lion or Mavericks with only 1GB of RAM. If you can upgrade your RAM to 2GB (or preferably 4GB which is possible with your Mac) you would be able to install Mavericks but be warned it is likely to run very slowly: it's not designed for elderly machines. You have to install Snow Leopard before you can install Mavericks in order to access the Mac App Store from which it is downloaded.

Note also that upgrading beyond Snow Leopard means you cannot use any PPC programs such as Appleworks.

Jul 25, 2014 10:12 AM in response to danibaillargeon

That depends on several factors - some iMacs can have the RAM upgraded by the owner, though it may involve throwing away the existing RAM rather than just adding to it - it depends on what is already there and what access there is. Some iMacs can't be user-upgraded at all - on the whole the smaller models can't. You are probably best off talking to an Apple Store or an Apple-authorised service engineer.

Oct 20, 2014 3:36 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.40f2

Serial Number (system): W89*****WU

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

<Personal information edited by Host>

Apr 20, 2015 10:39 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

hi , I want to upgrade my macbook , can you help me ?

I have Mac OS X 10.5.8

Nombre del modelo: MacBook

Identificador del modelo: MacBook4,1

Nombre del procesador: Intel Core 2 Duo

Velocidad del procesador: 2.4 GHz

Número de procesadores: 1

Número total de núcleos: 2

Caché de nivel 2: 3 MB

Memoria: 2 GB

Velocidad del bus: 800 MHz

Versión de la ROM de arranque: MB41.00C1.B00

Versión SMC (sistema): 1.31f1

Número de serie (sistema): W8"""""""""""""""X0P2

UUID de hardware: 789AD313-9""""""""""""""""""""""EAD3

Sudden Motion Sensor:

Estado: Activado

Model Name:

Apr 20, 2015 11:35 PM in response to jakevdp27

You can upgrade to Lion. You have the minimum RAM requirement; you can upgrade to 4GB and you may want to consider doing so for better performance.

You will need to upgrade to Snow Leopard first (available as an install disk from the Online Apple Store) in order to get access to the Mac App Store in Applications. Lion is available in the Online Apple Store: you get a code to enable a download from the Mac App Store.

i want to update my old imac osx 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.