Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5 won't connect to internet via Ethernet

So i have an iMac G5 that isn't connecting to the internet via ethernet.

I have already taken a look through all the Network Preferences, tried going through the network port configurations and setting all of that up again, created a new location for it.

I tried turning off the modem, and letting it restart - restarted the iMac - tried to set up all of these settings again.

I also created a test user account to see if it would work there - still nothing.

I hooked my own 17" MacBook Pro to it and it works perfectly. I never had to go through any settings on mine - it just worked as soon as i plugged the Ethernet cable in.

So the modem itself works - because my computer works. What else could be the problem?

I went through the Network Diagnostics on hers - all green dots and it says that the internet connection is working perfectly. It gives me an IP address - but it still won't load a webpage, and it tells me there that i am not connected to the internet. I am all out of ideas.

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Posted on Jul 25, 2014 12:00 PM

1 reply

Jul 25, 2014 12:28 PM in response to tool

What OS you using? 10.5?

My memory of 10.5 is fading so you may need to figure out the vague instructions.

To make this easier to type Macbook Pro = MBP

When testing disable wifi & use ethernet on both machines.

1. Are both set to use DHCP? Or are you using manual settings?
  2. Compare the IP addresses of the MBP & the iMac when they both use ethernet.
  3. Compare the subnet masks too just to be sure nothing is different.
  4. Does the iMac do any local networking at all? (e.g. is iTunes or File sharing visible on it). see *
  5. Does it see the MBP in the sharing sidebar or can it connect to anything on the local network?
  6. Have you connected the MBP to the iMac using the exact same cable that the iMac connects to the router?
  7. Does the MBP work if connected to the router using the iMacs ethernet cable?

* You will need to enable file sharing to see the shared Mac in the sidebar (or have mother service shared). Enable it in System Preferences > Sharing whilst you test.

If you are have local networking in a functional state it could be…

DNS - what is the iMac DNS set to on each Mac?

Are either of them showing a grey DNS entry in System Preferences > Network? That means the router is supplying that info.

iMac G5 won't connect to internet via Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.