Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

artwork

how do i get album artwork

g5, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Sep 16, 2006 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2006 9:44 PM

Well, if you've upgraded to iTunes 7, the easiest way is to go to Preferences (found in the iTunes menu). The fourth checkbox from the bottom should read "Automatically download missing album artwork". If you check it, you'll get a message letting you know that information will be sent to Apple (namely the identity of album tracks that don't have artwork). Click "Yes" and you're Mac goes to work. Additionally, if you download a new album (and are online), iTunes will automatically check and add the artwork for that album as well.

However...

This system apparently uses the iTunes Music Store for it's information. So if you have albums that aren't available through iTMS, those tracks won't be affected. It also uses the artwork shown in the iTMS, which may differ from the art you are expecting if it's a foreign release or re-release.

If iTunes can't find the corresponding artwork (or you just prefer a different picture), it's a little harder. Highlight the tracks you want to affect and choose Get Info from the Edit menu. If you're editing a single track, click on the Artwork tab. Otherwise, you should see a square on the right side of the Multiple Item Information window. Now if you can find a copy of the album artwork, simply drag it from your browser or other program into the "image well" and click OK. I tend to use Amazon.com to find cover art, but I've heard some people swear by Google. You can even use a scanner a digital camera in a pinch!

Hope that helps!
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2006 9:44 PM in response to crypto.

Well, if you've upgraded to iTunes 7, the easiest way is to go to Preferences (found in the iTunes menu). The fourth checkbox from the bottom should read "Automatically download missing album artwork". If you check it, you'll get a message letting you know that information will be sent to Apple (namely the identity of album tracks that don't have artwork). Click "Yes" and you're Mac goes to work. Additionally, if you download a new album (and are online), iTunes will automatically check and add the artwork for that album as well.

However...

This system apparently uses the iTunes Music Store for it's information. So if you have albums that aren't available through iTMS, those tracks won't be affected. It also uses the artwork shown in the iTMS, which may differ from the art you are expecting if it's a foreign release or re-release.

If iTunes can't find the corresponding artwork (or you just prefer a different picture), it's a little harder. Highlight the tracks you want to affect and choose Get Info from the Edit menu. If you're editing a single track, click on the Artwork tab. Otherwise, you should see a square on the right side of the Multiple Item Information window. Now if you can find a copy of the album artwork, simply drag it from your browser or other program into the "image well" and click OK. I tend to use Amazon.com to find cover art, but I've heard some people swear by Google. You can even use a scanner a digital camera in a pinch!

Hope that helps!

Sep 18, 2006 1:45 PM in response to crypto.

I have used MPFreaker to automatically update my artwork a few years ago for iTunes. It gets quite a few, but the new Apple preference has not picked up any of my missing in the last week. I bought a CD by mail from a rare artist who was not on iTunes this week. Neither source can find artwork from him either so be prepared to not be able to find old and rare artwork for about 10% of stuff you rip on your own.

Try MPFreaker, google it.

Sep 24, 2006 6:03 AM in response to rackity

rackity, I have done everything you said. I took digital pics of my old record album covers and put them into the artwork just as you explain and it worked great for multiple tunes (one album). However when I tried to do it with two albums by The Platters, it will not work, not with a single tune or multiple tunes. Also when I play the tunes the genre changes. It will not accept the change I made.
Any ideas? Thanks

Roy

artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.