Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferences>Privacy>Cookies and other website data

I'm having a problem. The number of "websites stored cookies or other data" keeps jumping around! First it shows 116, then jumps to 24, then jumps to 116, 117, then 15, then back to 24 again. Other numbers have been shown in a cycle, too. When I click on "details" the lists jumps around too. First listing many sites, then a few, then many again and so on. This is continuous. I tried "Remove All Website Data", but no luck. Any ideas? I've never had this problem before.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 25, 2014 1:49 PM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2015 8:40 PM in response to kitsune90

This seems to be caused by having pages making frequent updates to their cookies or local storage. You can tell the domain of the pages that are doing so by opening the Library/Safari/Local Storage folder in your home folder in Finder and sorting by date modified. In my case, both Facebook and Twitter pages were updating quite often. Once I closed them, the number settled down -- it continued to move up and down fairly frequently (presumably because some open pages were still adding/deleting cookies or local storage), but never reset or showed a much lower number.

Preferences>Privacy>Cookies and other website data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.