Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help sending Apple TV audio to Receiver sans TV

I connected the 2nd generation Apple TV to a Yamaha HTR 5930 receiver via Digital Optical Audio Toslink cable to use AirPlay from iPhone and iPad to play directly through speakers and leave the TV off. No luck yet. Can it be done?

AppleTV 2, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 25, 2014 10:42 PM

2 replies

Jul 28, 2014 9:02 AM in response to blissfulsort

Hi blissfulsort,

If you are trying to play audio from your iOS devices such as your iPhone or iPad to your stereo through your Apple TV, you should follow the steps detailed in this article -

iOS: Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4437

If you continue to have issues with AirPlay, follow the steps in this article -

iOS: Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4215

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Jul 28, 2014 5:47 PM in response to Brett L

Thank you for the quick reply! AirPlay works fine, I've used the Apple TV device to watch movies and play music television for years without issue.

I'm trying to use it in a new way, specifically to play music without having my television on (because I don't need to see the menu when I'm using AirPlay on my iPhone or iPad). To accomplish this, I connected the Apple TV to the Yamaha HTR 5930 receiver via Digital Optical Audio Toslink cable. I changed the input setting on the receiver to "DTV/CBL" to match the optical input label on the back of the receiver. No sound comes out.

I already referred to the Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting audio issues article, but that did not resolve the issue. Any ideas for additional troubleshooting?

Need Help sending Apple TV audio to Receiver sans TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.