Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive and non-Yosemite Macs

Hi all,

I have 3 different Macs, two iPads and an iPhone, all linked with my iCloud account. I'd like to run Yosemite from an external drive (already set up and ready to go). Just for clarification, if I upgrade to iCloud Drive, will that disable the current iCloud functionality on ALL of my devices? The FAQ's for Yosemite beta says: "iCloud Documents and Data will be disabled on devices that are not running OS X Yosemite or iOS 8. iCloud Drive will be available only on other Macs using the OS X Yosemite Beta and iOS devices running iOS 8".

Does that mean I will no longer have access to all of my documents stored in Pages, Keynote, etc on my non-iOS 8 or Yosemite devices?

Thanks for your help.

John

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 7:26 AM

Hi,

let me see if I can help a little. iCloud drive and the iCloud Documents and Data are not compatible (the first will replace the latter), meaning you will have to choose one when you install Yosemite. iCloud drive is available only to Yosemite and iOS 8 (developers by now).

If you choose to maintain iCloud Documents and Data, all of your documents will still be available in all of your devices, except the one with Yosemite, which will no longer have access to them.

If you choose iCloud Drive, the documents you have in the Cloud will only be accessible through your Yosemite device. Others will no longer have access, since the iCloud Documents and Data will be disabled.

Only when Yosemite and iOS 8 are released to the public will you be able to have them all using iCloud Drive and access to your Documents in all of your devices.

I'm also still a bit confused, but I think it's that.

Hope I helped.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2014 7:26 AM in response to John Dougherty

Hi,

let me see if I can help a little. iCloud drive and the iCloud Documents and Data are not compatible (the first will replace the latter), meaning you will have to choose one when you install Yosemite. iCloud drive is available only to Yosemite and iOS 8 (developers by now).

If you choose to maintain iCloud Documents and Data, all of your documents will still be available in all of your devices, except the one with Yosemite, which will no longer have access to them.

If you choose iCloud Drive, the documents you have in the Cloud will only be accessible through your Yosemite device. Others will no longer have access, since the iCloud Documents and Data will be disabled.

Only when Yosemite and iOS 8 are released to the public will you be able to have them all using iCloud Drive and access to your Documents in all of your devices.

I'm also still a bit confused, but I think it's that.

Hope I helped.

Jul 26, 2014 12:51 PM in response to Diego Monteiro

That makes sense. I'm assuming there will be some sort of 'migration assistant' when Yosemite is finally released, to migrate stuff from Documents and Data to iCloud drive. I just don't want all of my current documents to be sucked up into iCloud Drive should I enable it, so that none of my other devices will have access to them. They're all on the same iCloud account.

Aug 11, 2014 7:00 AM in response to fluentglobe

fluentglobe wrote:

They forgot is add the line.

DON'T DO THIS IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE ON ICLOUD.COM

Just lost access to all my documents... Royally screwed

No, they didn't forget. They just didn't use all caps. iCloud is a great convenience, but it is not a secure place for saving files. They need to be archived elsewhere and out of iCloud.

Aug 21, 2014 5:54 PM in response to fluentglobe

fluentglobe wrote:

So you are saying that cloud solutions are scratchpads for sharing documents among devices?

That is exactly what it is.

Any user must manually copy the documents somewhere else to have them backed up. How would a user that only has iOS devices even do that?

Easy. Get a Mac. 🙂

Surely part of the cloud solution idea is that backup is taken care of my the provider.

Backups are a user responsibility, for iCloud at least. Some vendors publicly support versioning. You should be able to use Versions in iCloud too. But really, you need to maintain your own backups.

Aug 28, 2014 1:05 PM in response to etresoft

FYI, if you use Time Machine for backup i believe it will backup the iCloud drive as it backs up my other cloud drives like Skydrive and Dropbox. Most cloud drives keep a local copy of the data as well as a copy in the cloud. Also, cloud backup solutions line Carbonite, Backblaze, etc. should be able to backup your could drives as well since a copy of files is kept local.

Aug 30, 2014 3:45 AM in response to Diego Monteiro

It would be nice if this were true. My documents are all locked on iCloud. I did not turn on iCloud drive, but did sign into my iCloud account on Yosemite for email. Now, my contacts, calendars and email sync correctly, but all documents are locked. I've confirmed this with Apple support, who escalated this issue several levels. Apparently, even if you sign into iCloud, the iCloud drive lock gets set. So if you do depend on iCloud for documents, don't enter your Apple ID anywhere on Yosemite.

Aug 30, 2014 11:56 PM in response to kirkmc

I hear you I had the same problem. I was able to backup the documents for safety sake by getting them out of the hidden Library directory that is associated with your home directory. ~/Library/Mobile Documents is where they are. You can unhide the directory, copy the files out and the rehide the directory.

To unhide,

Go to your home directory in Finder select the Show View options

User uploaded file

Then mark the check box Show Library Folder, to hide again uncheck it.

User uploaded file

iCloud Drive and non-Yosemite Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.