Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iMac 27 late 2009 enter TDM connected to a Mac Pro late 2013?

I'm trying to get an iMac 27 late 2009 to enter target display mode when connected to a Mac Pro late 2013.

I tried with Apple's Thunderbolt cable and pressing Command + F2 on the iMac did nothing.

So I bought a Mini DisplayPort cable, and now Command + F2 makes the iMac's screen turn black for a second and then back.

After rebooting, before logging in, if I press Command + F2 it actually works for about 2 seconds and then back to the iMac's screen. After this, if I keep trying it just flashes black.

So, my question is, has anyone managed to connect this two devices?

Should I buy another cable? Format the iMac? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 on both machines.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 7:22 AM

9 replies

Jul 27, 2014 8:42 PM in response to baltwo

Thank you for replying.

But that doesn't explain why the iMac 27'' late 2009 isn't entering Target Display Mode.

I bought another Mini DisplayPort cable, and it's still not working.

I see lot's of people connecting the iMac 27'' to MacBook Pros without problems, but have never seen anyone connecting it to a Mac Pro 2013.

Please, if anyone managed to do this, please let me know.

I'm going nuts over this.

Jul 28, 2014 12:44 AM in response to baltwo

Thanks for your help.

I don't know what more I can add to the initial post.

The second Mini DisplayPort cable that I tried is Belkin, I don't think there are better cables for this, since Apple is not selling it anymore.

I did mentioned that if I restart the iMac, before logging in with any user, pressing command + F2 or simply connecting the cable will actually work, it shows up as a second display on the Mac Pro, I can move the mouse pointer on the iMac. But after about 2 seconds the iMac exits Target Display Mode, and after this pressing Command + F2 will only turn iMac's monitor black for about a second and not entering TDM anymore.

I even checked the firmware versions and both are up to date according to this.

Aug 3, 2014 8:19 AM in response to cxdd

It didn't work for me.

I did try all you cam imagine with the cables.

Maybe installing Snow Leopard could do the trick, but I give up already and bought a monitor.

I wasted so much time on this, I would hate Apple if the MacPro wasn't so awesome!

In the end it's better to use any monitor instead, even a cheap one. Takes less time to boot, uses less energy, is silent, etc...

Better luck to you! or start thinking about which monitor to use.

By the way, I was trying to use the iMac as a secondary display. If you are planning on using the iMac as your main display, save yourself some headaches and get a monitor.

Aug 15, 2014 5:12 AM in response to sergiofromqueluz

It worked for me! I got my Mac Pro (late 2013) last week and one of the first things i tried was activating Target Display Mode and it worked like a charm... 🙂
Both Macs running 10.9.4 (i also tried it with my early 2013 rMBP - no problems). I use a "Higoto Mini DisplayPort Cable" (2m).

so it seems baltwo was right after all:

Then, it's something for an Apple repair station to look at.

Can iMac 27 late 2009 enter TDM connected to a Mac Pro late 2013?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.